[SOLVED]Want to Dual Boot Vista x64 & Vista x32

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by B.Buster, Mar 17, 2008.

1. B.Buster

B.Buster

Have 2 HDs, #1 sataWD 160G w/Vista x64 & #2 sata WD 160G w/Vista x32. Both are legal and activated. I can only boot to drive # 1.Seems like BOIS doesn't see 2 drives because it's not listed in BIOS and it doesn't ask me which drive to boot to at start up. (Did not have this with XP x64 & XP x32). My Computer sees both drives and I can see into both drives and move files. What up? :note - not a geek .

B.Buster, Mar 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. B.Buster

WAW8

Vista installs some boot logic into the first hard drive it sees. Unlike with other OS's, it doesn't ask where to write the boot record. It then installs the remainder of the loader info into the OS partition. In the case of dual-boot systems with XP and Vista, you install XP first because when you then install Vista, it will see the existence of XP and create a dual-boot menu, allowing you to choose the OS to start.

Not tried dual booting Vistas, but what you're saying is that it did NOT create a menu and you always get the same Vista, right? My guess is it is the second Vista you installed. Is that right?

Vista has its own command-line tool for tweaking boot operations -- BCDEdit. There are also a couple of GUI-oriented products available (for free): EasyBCD (from NeoSmart) and VistaBootPro. You can download either of these and tweak the boot settings.

WAW8, Mar 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. B.Buster

B.Buster

WAW8 thanks for the fast reply. I had the first HD that came with my notebook with Vista Home Premium x32. I removed the HD and replaced it with a new HD and loaded x64. After up and running put x32 drive in bay #2.On first start up windows saw x32 HD and installed -ready to use. Hope that helps.

B.Buster, Mar 17, 2008
  4. B.Buster

WAW8

I thought you said that it always forced you to run only one of the Vistas and didn't see the other? You're saying now it sees both and gives you a menu?

WAW8, Mar 18, 2008
  5. B.Buster

B.Buster

WAW8,VistaBootPro solved my prob. Now at boot it asks me to choose Vista 64 or Vista 32. To answer your last question it always showed both HDs in my Computer. If I clicked on each it would say ready to use but I could not boot the other drive. Thanks again your help was appreciated.

B.Buster, Mar 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question