[SOLVED]Vista only sees 1 Core of dual core processor

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by lokeycmos, May 10, 2008.

1. lokeycmos

lokeycmos

I am at a total loss and i hope someone can help me with this. i have a k8n neo4 mainboard with 2 gb ram and a 4200+ processor(socket 939). the problem is that vista ultimate 32 is only showing 1 proc in device manager and 1 graph in task manager. ive spent the last 4 hours researching this on google to no avail. ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling in device manager, safe mode, msconfig>boot>advanced options> detect HAL and uncheck # of Procs, and various combinations of these. Only once did i get it to show both cores in safe mode, but after i rebooted it went back to 1 and i cant duplicate it. I really hope someone out there can help me out! thnx in advance ;)

Joe

lokeycmos, May 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. lokeycmos

MafiaLord91

MafiaLord91, May 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. lokeycmos

WAW8

Socket 939 mobos are at least two gens back -- I know, I have one. How recent is your BIOS? Mine is over two years old -- but Vista sees both cores of my AMD processor. However, my BIOS is a beta, updated specifically for Vista, so that's probably why it works.

Suggest you grab a freeware program called CPU-Z. Run it and see if it sees both cores.

IF not, my best guess is that your BIOS is too old to work properly with Vista.

WAW8, May 10, 2008
  4. lokeycmos

lokeycmos

Thanx for the info, i got it working. msi tech support had me clear the cmos and reseat the proc. now it works great

lokeycmos, May 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question