[SOLVED]very slow internet after installing vista

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by manowar, May 7, 2007.

1. manowar

manowar

my router is zyxel 660 connected through etherrnet on netgear adapter (i also have a realtek onboard one)

im having really slow down and up speed and i dont know y

the problem remains in both cards (netgear have some beta drivers that didnt hel,realtek has no available ones ,only the microsoft's ones)

my other pc on xp with the same router has no problems

please help me because it is a really anoying issue

manowar, May 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. manowar

cyclic

There are Realtek Vista drivers available as far as I am aware, but the native Vista driver should really be sufficient to work efficiently, try checking your network's configuration and disable the IPV6 protocol and both link layer topology services (the last two in the list network properties, just clear the ticks from the boxes you might need a restart to gain any benefit).

cyclic, May 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. manowar

Quiksilver

Also you can try running some trace reports, see if your dropping packets.

Quiksilver, May 10, 2007
  4. manowar

CL0N3R

Had the same issue with my netgear router did eventually resolve the issue by updating my drivers with the vista version but issue still accurred so I eventully exchanged my netgear for a linksys router by happy ever since with not one issue or problem and just a few dollars more

CL0N3R, Oct 28, 2007
  5. manowar

GregDude

I also have a Zyxell router and a NetGear wireless point. I have just developed the same problem on a Vista PC after swapping motherboards (and reinstalling Vista).

So far I have tried all kinds of reported solutions:

* Disable AutoTuningLevel

* Patch 931770

* Vista SP1 beta

* Disable Indexing

* Disable remote diff

* Disable firewall (temporarily, and check for other software conflict)

* Disable other NIC

Nothing has made an improvement so far.

If I simply ping my router, I get pings of up to 500ms, whereas other PCs on the LAN get pings of <1ms. If I copy a file, it starts at some slow speed (if it doesn't hang) eg. 10kbps, then slows down over time, rather than the other way round. Both LAN and Internet are effected.

EDIT: Problem solved! I noticed that I could not install any new updates after SP1, even though SP1 did not include those updates. I uninstalled SP1 and installed all updates. This solved my problem. I had to add a wired NIC to the pc in order to download those updates. Surprisingly, the problem did not go away by just installing the 3 or 4 updates which appeared to directly relate to this issue.

EDIT2: Problem may not be solved Well the PC worked fine for about 2 days, then appeared to suffer from the same problem again. I'm not sure if it is the same problem or something new.

GregDude, Dec 26, 2007
  6. manowar

Industrial_Controller

Just spent several days troubleshooting very slow Vista wireless connection on laptop. Manually and auto deleted McAfee Security Suite with extreme malice including wiping it from registry, turned off firewall and Defender, changed wireless encryption from WEP to WPA to WPA-2. Always same result, download wireless speeds of 18-45 Kbps. In contrast, wired connection at 1700 Kbps. Updated wireless driver. Uninstalled and installed wireless card. Solution at the end of it all? Power cycled Dlink DIR-655 router. Speeds back to normal. AAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Industrial_Controller, Jan 1, 2008
  7. manowar

GregDude

I've since replaced my router + wireless point with a new wireless router. Didn't help. My LAN wireless bandwidth sits on approximately 16KBps which means copying large files could take effectively forever.

Internet behaves similarly slow, but may actually slow over time. Eg. downloading a file may start at 40KBps, but it will slow until it reaches 100bps (yes bytes per second). Copying files over LAN often take minutes to start and sometimes never complete due to timeout.

I have tried every suggestion on the net and nothing has improved Vista wireless networking for me. The current hardware involved, a Asus wireless ethernet card and Netgear wireless router both have Vista support written on the box and have latest firmware.

GregDude, Apr 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question