[SOLVED] SP1: Setup did not complete. Reverting changes.

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by howejustin, Apr 22, 2008.

1. howejustin

howejustin

Hey all,

I have an issue with Vista SP1 installing (No seriously! Nobody else having the issue, right??). It gets through 100% of stage 3 of 3, then after a minute or two says the "Setup did not complete. Reverting changes." message. Before the Microsoft super wizard got on the phone with me, I had already done a memory scan, chkdisk, scannow, file cleanup, defrag, nothing helped (I have Home Premium, and I do have the two required updates installed as well). When he connected to my computer, he tried to install right off the bat (a stupid thing to do, considering I wouldn't be calling if I didn't have the issue) and it of course failed. Then after checking to make sure no antivirus etc was active (which I uninstalled the day before) he disabled all non-Microsoft services from startup and disabled my TV card, sound card and graphics card, then tried again. Still didn't install. Lastly he installed some kind of tool from Microsoft's update site and tried to install SP1 again, this time from the standalone 500+mb version. No luck.

He scheduled a call today between 3 and 5pm from one of their research and developement team members to get deeper into the problem, but do any of you have any ideas what's going on?

Here is my computer and it's specs:

Dell Inspiron 531

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+

2GB DDR2 RAM

320GB HD (168GB Free)

DVD±RW

22" Widescreen flatpanel Dell monitor

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTX

Windows Vista Home Premium

I've been working as a software engineer and in the I.T. industry for 15 years now, I have no idea why this thing won't install.

howejustin, Apr 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. howejustin

howejustin

Well, I found an issue that others had with this regarding the Event Log service not running. So I checked mine (go to start menu search, type Event) and it wasn't running also. So I tried to start it (Windows Event Log) but it wouldn't. So I found the problem was in the RTBackup folder of C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\wmi. I used UNLOCKER (google it) to have the folder rename on restart, which automatically created a brand new one too. Now the event log starts just fine. I'm running the standalone SP1 again to see if it helps, which it did in other cases.

howejustin, Apr 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. howejustin

howejustin

Yup, that fixed it. SP1 installed like a breeze now. Let's get this post a "SOLVED" tag!

howejustin, Apr 22, 2008
  4. howejustin

kingofnexus

Glad to hear you got your problem sorted. Your not the only person who has had a nightmare upgrading to SP1 (My problem could only be solved by a complete reinstall of windows)

[Solved] tag placed!

kingofnexus, Apr 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question