[SOLVED]SLOW User Account Control window function

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by craigk21, Mar 9, 2008.

1. craigk21

craigk21

I have a HP DV6308nr laptop that came with Vista preloaded. Everything actually runs great and I like Vista for the most part, but this one issue with user account control is pushing me towards turning it off. I am the only "user" of the computer. At first when it asked for permission to do something and the UAC window popped up, it happened very quickly, in a split second. At some point, I thought after some update had been applied, when the UAC window would come up the screen then would go black for about 2 seconds, I would have to click ok, 2 more seconds of black, and then back to normal. Sllllllllllooooooooooooooooow. I do not want slow. This is a 1.6 dual core with 1.5 gigs of RAM. It does everything else fast.

It alsois very slow when it comes back from the sleep function if the screen is lockedwhen it is also doing what I describe regarding slow UAC.

I actually re-set my system to factory normal. Back to normal FAST UAC. Re-installed all Microsoft updates. Well all updates period, via Microsoft Update. Super slow UAC.

What update is causing this problem? Is there a fix for it? I'll uninstall it or turn off UAC, but I'd rather uninstall the problem update. What really changes when I turn off UAC?

Thanks.

craigk21, Mar 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. craigk21

WAW8

Just so you know, this would not be considered a high-end machine for Vista, more like an entry-level machine. Medium-level machines have 2GHz, multi-core processors, 2GB of RAM; high-end machines have 2+GHz multi-core processors, 4GB or more of DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. So, you're not going to get really fast performance on that box.

Vista still has a lot of problems recovering from sleep or hibernation. Newer ACPI BIOS's tend to handle it better. There are patches in SP 1 to address this.

There have been other reports of the the same slowing down, also fixed by restore, also rumoured to be caused by a recent update. But no-one has identified the update at fault.

You trade an popup every once in a while for two things:

1) Much greater exposure to malware and viruses.

2) Silent failures of legacy applications

We don't encourage turning off UAC.

WAW8, Mar 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. craigk21

craigk21

I found the problem. A Nvidia graphics card driver update that Windows Update installed caused it. I uninstalled it and it's back to running fast. Thanks to Microsoft Technet for helping out.<SPAN> <P align=left><P align=left>Hi Craig,<P align=left><P align=left>UAC actually gives you more control as you now know when a program is about to do something that may affect the whole system. Disabling UAC disables much of the improved security in Vista. It is recommended keep the UAC feature on. <P align=left><P align=left>And based on my experience, the slow prompt issue may due to graphic card's driver update. I would like to suggest that upgrade the video card driver to newest version or replace it with the default driver which come with your computer. Also, you can turn off the feature if you think UAC is not much necessary.<P align=left><P align=left>Hope it helps.<P align=left><HR align=left width="25%" SIZE=1>

Guo-Zhen Wang - MSFT </SPAN>

craigk21, Mar 12, 2008
  4. craigk21

WAW8

Glad you found it.

Some advice from personal experience -- disable Windows Update from automatically installing updates. MS advises against doing this, but MS isn't bothered when your machine slows to a halt, or gets into a crash loop -- because Windows Update trashed one or more of your drivers.

Best solution for driver updates is to get them from the hardware vendors, not from Windows Update.

WAW8, Mar 12, 2008
  5. craigk21

rolloLG

rolloLG, Jan 29, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question