[SOLVED] Shared HP Printer - XP to Vista Network Problem

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Jcol, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Jcol

Jcol

I have a Vista Preminum Home desktop computer connected to an HP 1018 LaserJet printer. This is setup as a shared network printer and is used by my two XP laptops which connect wirelessly. I set this up last summer andboth laptops were able to print to theHP printer. I have made no changes recently to the network setup however at some point during the last few weeks the laptops stop printing. Now what happens is the print jobs are sent to the Vista computer and can be seen in Print Manager, however they get stuck there. Print Manager says it is printing, but the documents never come out. In addition I cannot cancel or delete the print jobs that are sent from the laptop computers. I have tried stopping and starting the spooler service but that does nothing. If I do a restart of the Vista computer during the restart the documents do get printed out,, so the restart seems to flush them out of print manager. A couple of other points, print jobs from the Vista computer print fine, however if a print job from a laptop is stuck in Print Manager the Vista print job will not print till I go through the restart sequence. Also this all used to work fine, I suspect a Vista update has come down and changed something. I have seen this problem posted at various places around the net, but so far I have not found a solution. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jcol, Feb 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Jcol

WAW8

I had a similar problem with an installed HP network printer -- suddenly, could not print anymore. Print jobs got queued but never printed. The Printers folder showed the printer as OFFLINE all the time. I solved it by doing the following:

1) Deleted the printer

2) Reinstalled the network printer -- using the default MS drivers

3) Opening the printer and unchecking SNMP Status on the Port Config panel

4) Rebooting

5) Tried to print -- worked for a while but locked up again

6) Repeated entire process but downloaded the printer driver from HP and used it.

7) Rebooted again

Now, I can print to the printer again. BTW, none of the WinXP or Win2K machines networked to the same printers have had any problems printing, only the Vista machines.

WAW8, Feb 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Jcol

Jcol

ThanksWAW8 - Similar problem, but my printer never appears to be offline and it's not the Vista computer that won't print, it's the networked XP laptops, but I solved the problem. After your suggestion of looking at the Printer Port configuration I unchecked the box labelled Enable Bidirectional Support. With this box unchecked on the Vista computer which theprinter is attached to the networked XP laptops now print fine. Not sure whether or not this got changed by an update or what, but unchecking it seemed to do the trick. Thanks

Jcol, Feb 4, 2008
  4. Jcol

blessy

I am new to this forum. It is very nice forum. With the help of this forum we will get more information of new technologies of computer. Vista is new version software of Microsoft. It is very much support to networking. With the help of this platform the computer gets good speed .And the actions are done in fast. The printing operations are done speedily with the use of this. Vista is work only in high power computers i.e. which have good peripheral system.

===============================================================

Bless

HP Q5942a

blessy, Jul 23, 2008
  5. Jcol

rushing mom

I have almost the exact same issue: I have my HP officejet 7130 attached directly to a Vista64 HP desktop. However, when I try to view the properties of the network printer, I get the error, "Printer Properties cannot be displayed. The print spooler service is not running." I tried unclicking the bidirectional support option, but it made no difference (maybe I should reboot?) Any other ideas would be helpful...:w00t:

rushing mom, Oct 4, 2008
  6. Jcol

WAW8

There may be an option in the details of the printer panels for SNMP. If so, uncheck that.

I had the same problem with networked HP printers until I did that.

If you can't get to the printer properties, reinstall the network printers using the MS drivers.

If that doesn't work, download the printer drivers from HP, and reinstall using the HP drivers.

I have two networked HP printers at work -- one only works with the MS driver, the other only works with the HP driver.

WAW8, Oct 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question