[SOLVED] problems restoring a backup image using PC Restore

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by sinbarambam, Aug 4, 2008.

1. sinbarambam

sinbarambam

Hello everyone,

My first time here and I've been looking through the very informative posts in this thread. I did not, however, find the answer to my particular problem. Apologies if I've overlooked it.

Before sending my Sony for repair I created a system backup image on an external usb drive.

When I start the Windows Recovery Environment and select 'Windows Complete Restore', it shows the name of the backup, the date it was created and the location where it is going to be restored to. Interestingly this shows a long, seemingly random number, followed by C:\ I can't change it.

Immediately underneath there is an error message that reads:

The Windows Recovery Environment needs to be loaded from a hard disk, but Windows needs to format that disk to restore your computer. Reboot from a CD or DVD and try the restore again.

I did not get a Windows DVD with my computer. I do have a recovery DVD that I made when I got the computer but that doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions?

sinbarambam, Aug 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. sinbarambam

WAW8

As best I know, you can get into Windows RE by booting from the Vista DVD, and I believe (but am not sure) that the Windows Anytime Upgrade CDs also allow that.

We have a pinned post in the Installation forum about building your Vista Repair Disk -- which I believe will also allow you to boot into Windows RE.

The disks you made from your PC were most probably "restore" disks -- which will only allow you to restore the factory image of your PC, effectively wiping out the entire hard drive (all partitions, all data). So, that's not going to be terribly useful for repair purposes.

You can Google for WinRE and will find some external sources where they will claim that you can download WinRE images. Can't attest to the accuracy of those. Don't use WinRE on my machine because it doesn't work -- and my postings in forums (including MS) for the last six months about fixing it have all gone unanswered.

Perhaps those who actually USE WinRE can tell you specifically how to obtain, or burn, such a disk (given that you have no Vista DVD).

WAW8, Aug 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. sinbarambam

sinbarambam

Thanks for your reply...so if I got my hands on a Windows Vista ultimate DVD that would also solve my problem?

sinbarambam, Aug 4, 2008
  4. sinbarambam

WAW8

Yep -- when you boot using that DVD, it will allow you to boot into WinRE and then should present restore options for you.

I can't help you with the details because, as I said, winRE is broken on my Ultimate machine and no-one has shown any willingness to help me fix it. I was hoping that one of the WinRE "zealots" that hangs around here would help you.

WAW8, Aug 5, 2008
  5. sinbarambam

sinbarambam

Update:

I managed to get hold of a Vista DVD and that allowed me to start WinRE and restore my backup. :)

sinbarambam, Aug 6, 2008
  6. sinbarambam

WAW8

OK -- thanks for the update. I'll mark this as "solved".

WAW8, Aug 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question