[SOLVED]Finding super-hidden files

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by cprferry, Apr 5, 2008.

1. cprferry

cprferry

I have two programs that save files to different subfolders in their Program Files folders. These programs can access these files without a problem. However, I am unable to access these files through Explorer by browsing or searching. Even when I logged in as the administrator and searched in Explorer, none of these files were found.

How can they be that hidden? I need to access them. How can I access them?

Vista Home

2 accounts, 1 admin, 1 user

1 program installed under admin, as Vista program and ran as user

1 program installed under user, as XP SP2 compatiable and ran as admin

cprferry, Apr 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. cprferry

kingofnexus

When searching the index, only indexed files are looked through (default is just personal folders and start menu).

When searching the whole computer I think there is a setting which needs to be enabled to show search results for hidden files and folders.

You can look for the folders manually by opening my computer, press the alt key, tools > folder options, select the tick box for 'show hidden files and folders', OK.

kingofnexus, Apr 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. cprferry

cprferry

I've already set Explorer to show all hidden files even system files. I mean, the desktop now shows desktop.ini. Even then I can not find them by browsing the folder. I tried search thinking they may have been set in another folder, but nothing came up. Where are the files?

cprferry, Apr 6, 2008
  4. cprferry

cprferry

Any suggestions?

cprferry, Apr 10, 2008
  5. cprferry

WAW8

Are these legacy programs, that is, are they pre-Vista programs that you are running using Compatibility mode? That allows you to elevate rights for programs to perform actions that users can not, and that might include writing files to directories that you can not access later outside the program.

There's no such thing as super-hidden files, but with the new security model that Vista has implemented, it is now possible to not get to some directories and files, even as the Administrator.

Don't have your posts in front of me, so I can't check, but did you say that you unhid the "read" Administrator account, did a login using that account, and you STILL couldn't get to the subfolders and files?

WAW8, Apr 11, 2008
  6. cprferry

cprferry

I was able to get access to the folders. Had to unhide the real Administrator account, rather than the administrator account I set up, and set user to have full control to folders.

Thanks for the tip.

cprferry, Apr 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question