[SOLVED]Device Driver Preventing Machine From Hibernating

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by rainwaterlily, Jan 20, 2008.

1. rainwaterlily

rainwaterlily

Every time I try to put my computer in sleep mode, or leave it long enough for it to try to do it on its own I get a message saying "The device driver for the 'IDE Channel' device is preventing the machine from entering hibernation. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update the driver." I went into Control Panel and tried to update drivers for all four IDE Channel devices listed, but they all said there were up to date. Don't know what to do now.

rainwaterlily, Jan 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. rainwaterlily

WAW8

First off, do NOT mess with your HDD drivers. Doing so runs the risk of causing data corruption that can not only trash your Vista installation, it can also wipe out your data files.

Second, unfortunately, this is one of those "generic" MS error messages that, being unable to accurately determine the source of a problem, attempts to blame something else instead. The error message can point to just about any hardware on your machine. Examples have include the keyboard, the mouse, network cards, etc. There have also been instances where third-party firewalls have prevented hibernation, and MS just appears to pick on some hardware device as the culprit.

You may be able to track down the problem by doing the following:

1) Run MSCONFIG by clicking on the Start button and entering "msconfig"

2) Accept the UAC prompt

3) Click the startup tab

4) Click the Disable all button

5) Click the Apply button

6) Exit out and reboot

7) Try hibernation again. If it works, go back into MSCONFIG and enable the startup items one at a time. Then reboot and try hibernation again. When hibernation fails, you've found the item at fault.

WAW8, Jan 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. rainwaterlily

Discormt

i tried doing what you suggested below and even with everything disabled, I am still getting this same message. What do I do/ how do I update the drivers. I JUST got this computer 2 days ago and this message just started today. (????) I have no idea what to do.

Discormt, Jan 30, 2008
  4. rainwaterlily

Discormt

Yes, I am having the exact same problem. I get the exact same message when I am trying to sleep it or hibernate it. I "disabled all" , rebooted and got the exact SAME error message as the person above. So, I am needing more help in figuring out what hte problem is.

Discormt, Jan 31, 2008
  5. rainwaterlily

WAW8

Has this been happening all along, or has sleep/hibernation been working and only now, you're getting the error message?

WAW8, Jan 31, 2008
  6. rainwaterlily

Discormt

It would sleep at first, then the only thing that I can think of that changed is that I added my Zube software onto the computer and the Printshop21 software onto the computer. I removed the Printshop21 software, but did not remove the Zune. I tried to sleep and hibernate it after I removed the Printshop21 software and I am still getting the same message. I am thinking about removingthe Zune as well. But would you think that is even necessary?

Discormt, Feb 1, 2008
  7. rainwaterlily

WAW8

[light comes on!] You said the "magic word" (probably before your time <G>) -- "Zune"

I've seen some reports about the installation of Zune SW breaking Vista. Sorry, don't have the links handy, but it's something worth Googling for.

WAW8, Feb 1, 2008
  8. rainwaterlily

cbridge1

I am also having a problem with sleep and hibernate modes. When trying to enter these modes or after the computer has been idle for a time, the machine tries to enter but returns an error message that ata channel 1 is preventing the computer from entering the selected mode.

Vista service pack 1 is installed, BIOS has been updated from version 5 to 12, all channels were changed from IDE to ATA, the CD/DVD drive which is onATA channel 1 has been replaced by Dell and functions correctly.

I have spent 2 hours with Dell Tech support on this issue and still no solution and have tried the reboot route. The Dell tech who installed the new drive also could not resolve the issue.

Any solutions?

cbridge1, Mar 20, 2008
  9. rainwaterlily

WAW8

There is no "miracle cure" solution. I posted a list of things to try in an earlier response. You will have to track down the culprit causing the problem using the technique I suggested.

WAW8, Mar 24, 2008
  10. rainwaterlily

yableep

Hi,

I got a similar problem with my vista 64bit ultimate. My hibernation was until I installed a new graphics card. NVidia GeForce 8400, After that it won't hibernate nor go to sleep.

I read up on this issue and it's been verified that graphics driver can cause this.

Maybe it will help you

Regards

yableep

yableep, Jun 5, 2008
  11. rainwaterlily

ashock4u

I had this same exact issue with a Dell inspiron 530. From what i found, there is something funky with the dell recommended power scheme. i switched the power options to full power mode. and then customized it to allow sleep mode after 20 mins. after i did that, no more issues. hopefully this helps you as well.

ashock4u, Jun 21, 2008
  12. rainwaterlily

hb

I have the same problem with the same Dell530

I did what you suggested and it works!!!!!!!!!

Had Dell 3 times to fix no result

Thank you.

hb, Aug 12, 2008
  13. rainwaterlily

Ashwin_01

go to device manager and uninstall the ata channel or ide channeland restart the computer,this would work for definite :):):):)

Ashwin_01, Mar 21, 2009
  14. rainwaterlily

DBV1K1NG

Printshop21... is the problem !

OK then last week I installed then a few days later uninstalled Printshop21 & thats when my sleep mode quit working & I started getting the same " IDE Channel " error message so seems to me thats the problem. I have had my PC since 2008 & this is the first time Sleep hasnt worked... is there & hotfix or Microsoft fixit for this issue ? Thank you for any help...

Dale

DBV1K1NG, Feb 1, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question