Sold Vista Upgrade, buyer insists he cannot activate it

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by ARYLIOA, Sep 16, 2015.

1. ARYLIOA

ARYLIOA

I sold a copy of Vista Home Premium Upgrade on ebay (Part# X12-99362-02). I had replaced Vista on the computer with a clean, full, version of Windows 7 so no copy of that software exists, nor was it used in the Windows 7 installation.

The buyer has filed a Refund Request because after installation it is noted that the COA has been used (of course it was). He claims that he has "found" that the upgrade can only be used once. I do not believe that is the case, I have sent him the instructions which can be found on this site concerning activation (I am almost certain he will have to use the phone system) but he has not removed the claim.

I expect perhaps buyer remorse. Could even be "Hey, I have it installed now, let's see if I can get my money back." But I am open to facts, not stuck with my gut feeling. And I want to do what is right.

Identical copies are being sold daily on ebay, presumably without this kind of problem. The Microsoft chat site, while saying Vista is out of support, has told me that the upgrade should activate properly.

Can anyone tell me if they have recently transferred a license for a Vista Upgrade successfully? Or, for that matter, if they have tried and been refused.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    ARYLIOA, Sep 16, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. ARYLIOA

ARYLIOA

Problem solved, as I am sure most of you knew it would be. But even though I have done many installations and upgrades, not seeing the actual messages had me a bit concerned.

The buyer followed the steps outlined in the instructions for authentication and is up and running. I suspect the shock of seeing the newly installed upgrade notifying him that the product was not authentic caused him to panic. Microsoft could probably handle that warning better with some explanation, but it worked out fine.

So, to answer my own question and those of anyone who might have been wondering, the product can be transferred legally, and authentication is not a problem

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    ARYLIOA, Sep 17, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question