So many OS's - so why Vista

Discussion in 'Main Lounge' started by Olde Farte, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Olde Farte

Olde Farte

Hi,

So many versions of Windows, so many Linux distros. I have tried most of them over the last few years and always come back to Vista Home Basic 32 bit.

Why ?. Most PC users and reviewers tell us that Vista is bloated, slow, bug ridden, and a pain in the, well never mind.

So, Vista is a very good OS to lighten, tweak, and turn into a very good OS. I prefer Vista to Windows 7.

Properly handled and set up Vista can be faster than XP and gives Windows 7 a good fright.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks.

Olde Farte.

Olde Farte, Jun 6, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Olde Farte

Arfer Daley

hi i was given a medion MD 8830 That Was Looping i reinstalled vista home premium which what was on the machie and after installing service pks and ie9 so far so good i am impressed time will tell still cant complain for free

Arfer Daley, Jul 31, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. Olde Farte

Termingamer2JD

Vista is a eye-candy OS which is still very nice.
    I prefer it over Windows 7 because it has integrated Windows Mail and Movie Maker.

Hopefully when I get a desktop PC I'll use Vista... it was a great OS no matter what the public said.

Termingamer2JD, Oct 13, 2015
  4. Olde Farte

Cammygirl192

I agree with your short review.

My seven year old computer has ran Vista with Service Pack 1 with only a few issues since it has been purchased - the reason why Vista is considered in this way is because of poor hardware production at the time of Vista's release, no fault in the operating system itself.

I have no reason to upgrade as the computer is nifty, light and fast and has always been so, I have not installed any unofficial customisations though!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Cammygirl192, Mar 21, 2016
  5. Olde Farte

Arfer Daley

Update
    Ive Just purchased off that well known 2nd Hand sale site a Thermaltake DH102 Media Centre it came with w7pro64bit but under closer inspection i found a vista ultimate sticker underneath complete with reg code so guess what yes correct its now buzzin along on vista ultimate 64bit legal and the imon touch screen works great as well

Arfer Daley, Mar 21, 2016
  6. Olde Farte

Cammygirl192

You're lucky to have found that!
    Great job your computer is working brilliantly on Vista.
    ~Cammy

Cammygirl192, Mar 22, 2016
  7. Olde Farte

clive

I made a few improvements to my HP a6210.uk Vista pc (service pack2):

I stripped out all the junk programs, added a Sapphire HD7750 graphics card, new 450w (quality) power, extra ram (total now 3gb), 4gb ReadyBoost, DVI screen cable, plus some slight start-up program tweaking. I've now got my Vista 32 bit Home premium purring, it's like a 64bit machine now.

Even when Vista can't make it online anymore in the future, I will still be using it with all my old design programs on the sidelines, I will then then transfer my work via a usb cable or SD card to the new system.

The reason i like Vista: I've been with it since the start in 2007 (my first pc) I have a bundle of programs that run on it that i use every day, Vista is tweakable, it's easy to use and friendly to use.

I refuse to downgrade to Windows 10 (virus).

clive, Apr 15, 2016
  8. Olde Farte

sctvguy1

Hi! I just got a copy of Vista Home Premium from a guy off of ebay. It originally came on my HP 6516b, so it fits like a glove. Tweaking here and there, it runs just as well as my Windows 7 Dell Optiplex 745. It is good on this laptop. Seems just like an earlier version of Windows 7. It plays all the old games that my DOS machine, my XP machine, and my Windows 7 machine. I use it while I am sitting in the easy chair to play Panzer General!

sctvguy1, May 12, 2016
  9. Olde Farte

clive

Sounds good!

It's nice to know that Vista is still liked, all it needs is just a bit of tweaking here and there. Vista is in use every day on my pc, it's my workhorse for my older design programs, I would be lost without it.

Long live Vista!

clive, May 18, 2016
    Jamie White likes this.
  10. Olde Farte

Jamie White

I decided to launch Vista Home Premium SP2 in a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox) on my OS X today, and it is going smoothly!

Used to have a Packard Bell running Vista, but it broke down due to a hardware failure, but I have allocated 2GB of RAM and 250GB of space for a Vista VM and I am loving it.

Vista is loved to me, almost as much as I love XP. I never understood the hate it got from the people who never actually tried it.

Jamie White, Jun 6, 2016
    1. Advertisements