Slower and slower and even slower

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by balaclava, Mar 2, 2011.

1. balaclava

balaclava

I have an Asus P5VD2-X motherboard with an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz and I have just upgraded the 2Gb or RAM to 4Gb. I installed Vista when I bought above machine 3 years ago. It has gradually got slower and slower, it takes a year for Vista to load up and an lifetime for it to shut down. The RAM upgrade made no difference. What’s going on?

balaclava, Mar 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. balaclava

WAW8

Slow startup could be a combination of two things in general:
    1) Loading of startup apps
    2) Fragmentation of hard drive

You address the first as follows:
    1) Enter "msconfig" in the Startup area and run it
    2) Go to the Startup tab and uncheck all the items
    3) One at a time, re-check an item, reboot, see if the slowness returns.

When it does, THAT is the item that is causing the slowdown. You either then have to uncheck it and leave it disabled, or remove it.

As to the second, you can defrag your drive. All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Disk Defragmenter. This will sometimes give some minor improvement, although I've never really seen anything noticeable from doing this.

WAW8, Mar 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. balaclava

balaclava

Thanks for the advice but I've already done all that. What I can't get my head around is why it takes so long to shut down?

I am being told that Vista was a mess from the beginning, a mess they couldn;t sort out which is why it was abandoned and that I should give it up and get onto W7. What is p****ing me off is that I paid for a full copy of Vista Ultimate and expected I would get more than 3 years out of it!

balaclava, Mar 3, 2011
  4. balaclava

WAW8

I'm sympathetic with your concern over Vista -- really. I bought Ultimat, too, and was "less than thrilled" by the lack of Ultimate Extras -- which is why I dropped back to the Pro version when I upgraded my desktop to Win7.

IF you go to Win7 (which is generally a very good idea), I would strongly suggest the following:
    1) Do a clean install, not an upgrade. Yeah, I know that's a LOT of work -- but I did the second myself and have regretted it.
    2) If you encounter any problems, check the Windows 7 forums for help.

WAW8, Mar 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question