Slow Copy and Paste from different partitions

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by DryvBy, Feb 8, 2007.

1. DryvBy

DryvBy

I've read online where a lot of people are having this same problem. For example, when you try to copy a folder from Partition D to Partition C, you end up sitting there for a bit longer than when in Windows XP. Last night, I was copying over some pretty big files (even on the same drive) and it asked me to override them. It said it was going to take 4 hours to override!

When it copies over files that are near 1200 and as big as 15GB, it says it's going to take 1 hour or longer. Now, I know to copy 1200 files that are 15GB, it's going to take a few minutes, but not as long as Vista is taking. Even to copy over a 100MB file takes about 10 seconds (when in Windows XP it's almost instant).

[​IMG]

(This is sort of what I'm taking about. The time it took this file was near 10 seconds, when it doesn't take that long in Windows XP... but there's also not that many files...). Also, I'm not being picky. This is just a quick sample. I mean, when I copy over a ton of them, it almost slows down to where I can't use the computer (because all my system resources are going towards Explorer)

Anyone else having slow copy times? Is there something I should enable/disable to speed up disk speeds?

DryvBy, Feb 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. DryvBy

w59cb83x

What are you system specs?

copying files does seem to take a little longer in Vista than XP.

Is indexing.exe running. that seems to take alot of ram up.

w59cb83x, Feb 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. DryvBy

WAW8

First of all, according to your screenshot, you're not copying files, you're moving files. That takes longer because there are two sets of 1200+ file entries to update.

Second, I've noticed that Vista is a bit slower in copying files, but then, it appears to be slower in virtually everything than it was in XP.

Also, Vista seems to be a lot more memory-bound than was XP, meaning that if you're running with less than 1GB of memory, Vista is really slow; 1GB is a little better; 1.5 - 2GB is even better. I've read reports that with 2GB, Vista performance is about on par with what XP was with 1 GB.

WAW8, Feb 13, 2007
  4. DryvBy

ikesplace

Hello All,

I had the exact same problem and came across a possible sollution :

Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features

Click on " Turn windows features on or off" on the left side of the panel

Takes a sec to load all the features

Uncheck "Remote Differential Compression"

I also unchecked "Print Services" (Since I don't have a printer)

Click "Ok" and you will be all set.

Let me know if it works for you.

ikesplace, Feb 19, 2007
  5. DryvBy

kingofnexus

Some of the slow down is that when copying files vista is less lazy than xp asto where it writes the information to, making defragging the HD easier. Also it indexing all the files as you are copying them.

Sometimes I find copying small files (or extracting them) vista has problems, as it can slow to 16 bytes/sec. Stopping and redoing the desired action normally fixes this.

Make sure you dont have a CPU intensive task running, it will decrease the index time.

kingofnexus, Feb 19, 2007
  6. DryvBy

Jason

If you are not aware there is a large difference between a copy and cut, as a copy just updates the index of the data in the hard drives table, as where cut physically writes the new data and address to the new hard drive.

Jason, Feb 19, 2007
  7. DryvBy

gonijn

Hi,

System specs:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=left><SPAN class=SubTitle><NOBR>System</NOBR></SPAN></TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=left width="100%"><HR SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left width=260>Manufacturer</TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left>Hewlett-Packard</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left width=260>Model</TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left>HP d230 MT(DQ445A)</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left width=260>Total amount of system memory</TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left>1.00 GB RAM</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left width=260>System type</TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left>32-bit operating system</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left width=260>Number of processor cores</TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left>1</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left width=260>64-bit capable</TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left>No</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=left><SPAN class=SubTitle><NOBR>Storage</NOBR></SPAN></TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=left width="100%"><HR SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left width=260>Total size of hard disk(s)</TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left>468 GB</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left width=260>Disk partition (C:)</TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left>124 GB Free (234 GB Total)</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left width=260>Media drive (D:)</TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left>CD/DVD</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left width=260>Disk partition (E:)</TD><TD class=SubText vAlign=center align=left>132 GB Free (234 GB Total)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=left><SPAN class=SubTitle><NOBR>Graphics</NOBR></SPAN></TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=left width="100%"><HR SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width="1

gonijn, Feb 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question