Skip Windows 7, its Windows 8 we need to look out for

Discussion in 'Main Lounge' started by Goffee, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Goffee

Goffee

If Windows 7 just fixes what was wrong in Vista, then a) why are we being charged for it and b) doesn't that make Windows 8 the one to go for, it could have a lot of cool stuff such as:

It will enable a lot of features currently online in the desktop. Imagine your user account being a parallel front-end for your Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Bebo and other online accounts you use.

Instead of having a sidebar for these web-based services, they appear when updated "behind the glass" of the working desktop. Where your eye is focussed (assuming we have these shiny "Surface" displays by then) you'll see who is messaging you or what their update was, Alt+Tab would then take you directly to that application which floats to the top of the desktop.

More on blog, here

Goffee, Feb 16, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Goffee

WAW8

MS certainly doesn't see it that way, so of course, they are going to charge us for Windows 7 -- they didn't get to be a virtual monopoly by giving stuff away.

It would be nice if they will charge a lot less than they did for Vista -- but I'm not holding my breath.

As to waiting for Windows 8, I'd rather go with Seven (the beta is pretty good) than wait several more years for only incremental improvements.

WAW8, Feb 16, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Goffee

kingofnexus

Hopefully Windows 8 will finally implement what Vista was supposed have had. How long can we listen to Microsoft talking about object oriented features being in the next OS?

With Windows 7, the improvements seem to be on level with what I would expect a service pack to achieve. The only thing drastically different is the task-bar, which I think is horrendous in its current stage, I hate clicking twice for everything, and when 'don't collapse' setting is turned on for a similar interface to Vista programs like msn have 3 entries in the task-bar.

Evidently the whole purpose of Windows 7 is to get away from the name Vista which got a bad reputation mostly because people reviewed it too early on the beta's and 7 years of XP made people reluctant to change. All of use people who adopted Vista are going have to pay the upgrade purely because of the bad image Vista gained.

kingofnexus, Feb 16, 2009
  4. Goffee

rockin42nite

It's funny how we're always looking for something better - no matter what we have in front of us. I chuckled when I saw the title here.

rockin42nite, Mar 4, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question