Simple fix to excess CPU usage in Vista

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by tobannon, May 4, 2011.

1. tobannon

tobannon

I'm a retired accountant who has used computers for many years but I have hit a wall when it comes to the constant hard drive crunching from svchost in vista. I've read many recommendations from the web, but they all assume I talk technical, which I don't.

My hard drive seems to be crunching almost constantly and slowing down my computer, especially web access, surfing and downloading.

I need to know, in non-technical terms, which svchost programs I can safely turn off without compromising my computer. All that I have read assume that I can understand technospeak about what each one does. Is there a compendium somewhere of all the svchost processes and what they do and whether or not they are necessary? In layman's terms? I know how to get into task manager and I have procexp from microsoft.

I have 2meg of RAM in an HP machine running Vista with an Intel E2180 dual-core processor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

tobannon, May 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. tobannon

Outlooker

This might help you. It has some plain english (I can understand it LOL) and not too techy.

...............LINK NOT ALLOWED......................

I am not allow at this time to post links, so go to the howtogeek web site and use the search for vista svchostexe. That should get you to the page that you require....

Last edited: May 13, 2011
    Outlooker, May 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. tobannon

Outlooker

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question