Should I dual boot, or Just have the one OS

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by spinydelta1, Sep 18, 2009.

1. spinydelta1

spinydelta1

Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum, but wanted to ask a question, I have Windows Vista 32BIT installed, (Home Premium) and I final download the windows 7 RC, Build 7100.

I wanted to ask, do you think I should dual boot this with my Vista install. Or do a complete, new install of Windows 7. I no that my friend's have problems with games when dual booting with windows 7 & vista, But I didn't no whether thats because the OS is just an Beta or because they are dual booting. but because I mainly use my computer for gaming, I want the best results.

Can someone please help me out here.

Thanks,

Josh

spinydelta1, Sep 18, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. spinydelta1

WAW8

You would do best dual-booting with the RC because it's a pre-release version (not strictly a Beta, but not the final product either). If you upgrade your Vista install with the RC, you won't be able to upgrade that to the commercial version because MS is not supporting that upgrade path.

However, understand that the RC is build 7100 and the released version is build 7600. A LOT of changes have taken place since the RC came out, especially with drivers and built-in features. So, your experience with the RC will not accurately reflect the capabilities of the final product. Also, realize that the RC is Ultimate-only, so unless you decide to upgrade to Seven Ultimate, you will have to do a complete reinstall when you load the final version anyway.

That said, the experience you have with gaming depends critically on your video chip/card. If you have an ATI product and it's NOT one of the new HD 3X or HD 4x series, you will not be able to get ATI drivers for it because they dropped support for the older cards. So, in that case, Vista will provide better video support. You can install the Vista drivers in compatibility mode but since they're not strictly Seven drivers, they won't provide all the new video features that Seven supports.

WAW8, Sep 18, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question