Sharing Printers on a network

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by grizzly44, Oct 4, 2006.

1. grizzly44

grizzly44

I'm trying to use Vista RC1 on my work PC. I'm a mechanic at a dealer and frequently write insurance supplements then send them to one of three estimators (I'm in the Body Shop).

My computer has internet access and when running XP, all shared network printers can be found, and if they can't be, the IP address will bring up the stubborn comp/printer.

My second partition has Vista installed, and working about 80%. My biggest issues seem to be with finding other shared printers, which were there in XP. The "Wizard" can only find network printers, (which it seems to do well), but not a single printer attached to a PC; no even the one on MY PC!

I thought I had it once, after finding the exact address on another PC and copy/pasting in the wizard. Don't rename the printer after its found though- now I cant find or delete that one now!!

I have been somewhat successful mapping network drives, but I'm always prompted for a username & password after disconnecting- not in XP.

All in all it's not bad, but it's also not XP. One of PC Worlds editors discribed Vista's networking as "downright baffelling" and I definitely see why.

Chris

grizzly44, Oct 4, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. grizzly44

doghucat

I had a problem at first with mine but I had to make sure the name of the printer was exactly the same as on the host computer with the printer is attached and than Vista had no problem finding it on the network, but it does not stay as the default printer. every time I have to use it it has to be applied and I have to start the print spooler in Vista but it works.

doghucat, Oct 5, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. grizzly44

grizzly44

Well you sent me in the right direction. The print spooler service had shown it was running, so I restarted it anyway and then two of the shared printers returned. They disappeared ("not found on server") again after a restart though. I've since downloaded RC2 and hope this issue is fixed with that release. Still don't care for the other network quirks, but I'm sure they'll be fixed someday.

Thanks again,

Chris

grizzly44, Oct 11, 2006
  4. grizzly44

doghucat

Glad it helped I just had to instal a new printer on the vista got a HP 8250 and it found it no problem you have to get ride of the XML thing in vista and make sure to make the printer you use the default one this new buiild havn't had to start the print spooler at all it start by itself. Enjoy

doghucat, Oct 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question