Sharing a SourceSafe database with XP

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by MorningZ, Aug 9, 2006.

1. MorningZ

MorningZ

So i have my HD split up on my Sony Laptop here and am running the July CTP of Vista that I downloaded through my MSDN account.......

On the first partition is XP Pro (NTFS file system)the second partition is a partition for files (i'll just call this the "data" partition for simplicity sake), downloads, etc, the third has Vista

I am able to boot into either with no issues, and installed both SQL2005 Developer and Visual Studio 2005 installed flawlessly on this version of Vista (can't say the same for the Beta 2 release, but I'm past that)

So my web applications are stored in Visual Source Safe which houses it's files in the "data" parition and I have no problems with Studio pulling/saving to Source Safe

Now, booting into Vista i open studio and do the "Open Website / From Source Safe" and try to open the "srcsafe.ini" file that needs to be opened, but after entering my source safe credentials, i get "permission deined", like it's an NTFS problem.....

Should I:
    - Convert the data partition to FAT32 so I do not have to deal with NTFS permissions set in XP? (is that even possible?)
    - Is there a way to get Vista and my logged in account to read the stuff off the data drive without getting prompted for Administrator access (like i do now) and as a side effect get Source Safe to work?
    - Other suggestions??

I'm after the ability to work on my projects, and the same version of it, no matter what OS i boot in, I'd really like to be in Vista all the time, but getting Source Safe to work is a big part of that

Thanks in advance

MorningZ, Aug 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. MorningZ

Jason

Sounds like a user account permissions problem in vista. You may think you are the administrator but in reality you are not.

Try this:

https://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic588-9-1.aspx?Highlight=administrator

Changing to FAT32 doesnt seem necessary, but I am pretty sure it also has some kind of file security similiar to ntsf. You can also make sure when logged into vista that the folder you are accessing on the data partition has read/write privelages to everyone.

Jason, Aug 10, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question