Several Problems On New VAIO

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by adoman28, Dec 20, 2007.

1. adoman28

adoman28

All right so I just got a new VAIO laptop. It worked fine for the first few weeks. Then for no reason I can think of, a bunch of random things started to go wrong.

The first thing I noticed was that the wireless icon in the taskbar showed that I was disconnected when I still had internet access and was obviously still connected to the network. when I scroll over the icon it says "Connection Status: Unknown Server execution failed". It also responds very slowly and takes minutes to bring up the wireless connection utility.

The second thing I noticed was whenever I tried to play anything in Windows Media Player it came up with an error message saying something like "Can't play this file. You may not have administrative priviliges or your proxy settings may not be correct." Also whenever I tried to play anything in any other media player there was no sound.

The third thing i realized was that ALL of my security settings were turned off in Windows Security Center. After I turned everything back on it didn't recognize Norton under "virus protection" and it asks me to find a virus protection program.

All right, so after I did all this I restored my notebook to it's original factory configuration. Once again, it worked fine for a few weeks then the exact same things happened all at the same time. So I googled some more and found a fix for the Windows Media Player problem. A bunch of other people said that it had happened after the installed AIM 6.0. The second time everything went wrong it was coincidentally right after I installed AIM 6.0. Also a day before that Norton found a trojan and removed it.

So anyway, I guess my question is what can I do to get everything back to "normal". I tried system restore and it always runs into errors. Sorry for the lengthy explanation but I really want to figure out what causes this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

--Alex

adoman28, Dec 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. adoman28

WAW8

Since it works fine in factory fresh condition and then deteriorates over time, my guess is that you have Windows Update set to Automatic -- and that updates are degrading your machine. Please check that and, if so, change it to only notify you when updates are available. Also, do NOT install driver updates using Windows Update. I've had my machines trashed more than once due to "bad" driver updates.

If you do have Windows Update on automatic, you could try removing the updates one at a time to see if functionality is restored. If that works, it would spare you the effort of restoring your machine yet again.

WAW8, Dec 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question