setup.exe has stopped working

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by papwearsaspeedo, Jan 17, 2008.

1. papwearsaspeedo

papwearsaspeedo

Ok, so I bought a Vaio with Vista installed and took it home. I think Vista looks really cool and the gadgets are fun. There were a bunch of useless programs that came with my computer and I went through and cleaned house. I got rid of AOL and and all the crap programs that come with AOL and uninstalled a bunch of other stuff. Then I installed the programs I like to use, including AIM 6.something and immediately the windows experience index and network discovery features stopped working properly. The status of my connected network in the tray said something weird, along the lines of, "unknown server error," so I googled it. Turns out there is a direct conflict between new versions of AIM and Vista, and learned that the only way to fix it is to run a system restore.

I had a lot of trouble running restore. I tried like 20 times and system restore kept experiencing a failure. Finally I smarted up and rebooted in safe mode and got the restore to work. Except, now, all the programs that I previously nuked from the programs and features list in the control panel were back! So, I tried to go back and re-uninstall and then I got this message: "setup.exe has stopped working. windows will close the program and notify you when a solution is found." The message only pops up on programs that I uninstalled before the restore. I googled the "setup.exe" error message also and found out that MANY other people had the same exact problem after a system restore, yet none of them mentioned anything about whether the same programs that setup.exe wasn't working for after the restore had been uninstalled before the restore, but I have a hunch they were.

The question is, now what? I'm posting my experience in hopes that it will be taken into account in the pursuit of a solution. If anyone has a similar experience to share post it here, and if anyone knows what I can do to get these "ghost" program names off of my installed program list, I would love to here it.

papwearsaspeedo, Jan 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. papwearsaspeedo

WAW8

Are the programs still there, in other words, when you click them, do they still run? Or are they only still listed in the programs list?

If the latter, you can remove them from the registry and they will no longer show up in the Start menu list.

WAW8, Jan 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. papwearsaspeedo

aznsong50

I have the EXACT same issue. Brand new Dell Inspiron 1525, Windows Vista Home Premium, had to do a System Restore, and a program that I had deleted reappeared, and the "setup.exe" error described above appears every time I try to uninstall again. And, yes, the program still actually RUNS. Help?

aznsong50, Aug 1, 2008
  4. papwearsaspeedo

WAW8

Contrary to popular opinion, System Restore does not actually restore the entire PC to a previous state; instead, it only restore some system files.

Now, before the MS fanatics start flaming me about this --- I have actually verified this to be true! I installed a Windows Update. It trashed my machine. I restored to two days prior. When I rebooted, the newly-installed update was still there!!

So ... this means that in your case, the system restore did NOT remove the application -- which you'll now have to do manually. If the uninstall doesn't work but the program still runs, that means that the uninstall file got deleted or corrupted. Best course of action is to contact the vendor of the app to see if they provide a removal program (often called a "clean routine") that will remove all traces of their program. If they don't, you're stuck with searching through tens of thousands of registry entries to find and remove them yourself.

If the box is still under warranty, contact the seller to see if they will help you.

WAW8, Aug 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question