Service pack 1 now available

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by lolsonjr, Mar 18, 2008.

1. lolsonjr

kingofnexus

Yeah that makes sense as I don't have sp1 update available to me. Like Deebees I live in the UK. Solution: Download SP1 directly from the MS website.

kingofnexus, Mar 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. lolsonjr

bob2701

Partial reprint of an article by Susan Bradley

"Back in February, Microsoft product manager Mike Nash announced on the Windows Vista blog that Vista Service Pack 1 would be available via Windows Update around mid March. Sure enough, SP1 was released to Windows Update users on Mar. 18, as described by Nicholas White in a blog post. In April, SP1 will begin downloading to everyone who has Automatic Updates enabled.

The service pack takes anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes to download, depending on your connection speed and hardware performance. You may not actually see this service pack, however, when you manually run Windows Update (it's identified as patch 936330). If not, the reason is probably that your system isn't ready to install SP1 just yet.

As the posts mentioned above describe, many device drivers need to be updated before Service Pack 1 will install in a seamless manner. Most of these drivers are listed in Knowledge Base article 948343.

I was surprised to discover in my testing that Windows Update was not offering SP1 to one Vista workstation. It turns out that this three-month-old HP workstation had an offending Realtek audio driver. After I installed an updated audio driver, the machine was then offered Vista Service Pack 1.

As you know from reading my previous columns, I normally say "no" to installing modified device drivers using Windows Update. It's usually much more reliable to get the latest version from the manufacturer's site. But in this case, I said "yes" to installing the audio driver via Windows Update. Without the updated drive in place, the service pack wasn't even appearing in Windows Update's list, much less installing properly.

If you don't see Vista Service Pack 1 in the list of available updates when you run Windows Update manually, and you aren't offered any audio drivers, there may be other hardware issues.

Using Microsoft Update, rather than Windows Update, is actually the safest way to get this service pack. If MU senses you need audio drivers, for example, it will offer them to you. On the other hand, MU may find that you need a special patch called the CheckSUR update. This fix is described in KB article 947821."

Maybe this will help those who do not see the update..

bob2701, Mar 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. lolsonjr

Deebees

Having tried various things to show the Vista SP1 update on Windows Update, I decided to download from Microst Updates although it warned that one computer owners should wait until it shows in Windows Update. It downloaded and installed quickly and I have had no problems with it.

For anyone who is happy with SP1 and does notwant to return to the older version you can get ridof the old files and save some considerable disk space. If you use this you must note that you cannot return to the older version. This information has been obtained from Allan at TweakXP and can seen at this web site: http://www.winvistaclub.com/t49.html

Deebees, Mar 24, 2008
  4. lolsonjr

lolsonjr

Glad you finally got it. In just about every way except a couple maybe, it certainly helps Vista in general. I wonder if another one will show up this year?

lolsonjr, Mar 24, 2008
  5. lolsonjr

kingofnexus

OKI manually downloaded and installed sp1. Biggest mistake of my life.

Only 1 gadget now works and thats the cpu / memory meter. Instant search no longer works (start menu says 'search function failed to initialize'). 'Catalyst Control Center Host Stopped Working' error each boot and everytime I try to start it. IE7 favourite links fail 50% of the time (While checking a few more links to see if this was an exaguration now no links work even the ones which worked before). Random pages in IE7 fail to load with 'Internet Explorer Cant Display the webpage'. Windows live messenger fails with 'Service not available' when I try to sign in, and wont keep log in information either. 'Problems reports and solutions' window fails to load up with no error. Nightmare.

These are only errors which I have noticed so far. Ive spent an hour trying to get instant search feature back with no success. Done everything that I could find on google. Moved onto trying to get catalyst control center working, uninstalled, reinstalled, to no avail. Don't know where to start on all the IE7 problems. Vista Beta 1 worked alotbetter than this.

kingofnexus, Mar 25, 2008
  6. lolsonjr

WAW8

King ...

Sorry to hear that. Keep an eye on your notification area icons -- mine started disappearing! Had to hack the registry to get them back.

I added some comments about SP 1 to the Admin Lounge. My experiences weren't as bad as yours, but overall, have not been positive with SP 1.

WAW8, Mar 25, 2008
  7. lolsonjr

golddigger

Ok then so im not very savvy when it comes to computers, but i know the very basics. Hello all by the way - first posts.:hehe:

So ive read this post and am i write in saying -

1- turn off auto install updates as this can cause problems(didnt know this and mayby this is why i have lots of little annoying problems and errors appearing on my computer)

2 - set it to alert me when there are updates? (now! should i just then say yes to every update it alerts me too) (whats the difference between this way and the auto way) (or are there certain updates i should never do)???

3 - I live in UK, with regards to this SP1 is the best option to go to MS website and download it?

4 - As regards to the audio update that is mentioned above, will the MS website know that i need this update when i apply for the SP1 update.?

5 - When i download SP1 do i definately have to delete the old files.?? (sorry - what and where are the old files and why should i delete them)?

6 - I know this question is similar to how long is a piece of string but im a bit concerned of the negatives the above posters have experienced with downloading SP1. Why have there been some problems with peeps comps afterwards and - will or could it happen to me.

Ok thanks for reading and for any answers to my questions.:)

GD

golddigger, Mar 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question