Sending photos in e-mail

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by patch49, Aug 20, 2011.

1. patch49

patch49

Hi folks, My question is when i send family photographs with e-mail i have to keep them below 10-mb, As that is the max some e-mail providers will send or recieve,In order to do that i have to bring them down from say 400x3000 pixels to somewhere around 800x800 which degrades the picture quite a bit, friends have sent e-mail pictures from say national geographics or other commercial photographers up to sixty at a time and they are below 10-mb and the clarity is fantastic how do they do it and is there a way i can do it, thank you,

patch49, Aug 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. patch49

WAW8

There's literally no way to reduce the pixel density of an image and retain the sharpness of the original. It's simply not possible. However, you can reduce the pixel density of .jpg files -- but you will get picture degradation.

Perhaps what they are doing is compressing the files using an archiving program -- like WinZip or 7Zip. That can shrink the size of the files somewhat.

WAW8, Aug 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. patch49

patch49

Thanks WAW8, I will look into the compressed file bit a little more, (winzip). Patch49

patch49, Aug 21, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question