SCSI drives and BOOTMGR missing

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by numdydar, Nov 22, 2008.

1. numdydar

numdydar

I have a Asus Striker Extreme with 6GB RAM. I have 3 (real) SCSI drives with an Adaptec controler. I also have 1 SATA drive which I use as a backup. The SATA is set to SATA in the BIOS (My choices are SATA, RAID, and disabled. Setting it to RAID made no difference on the below.). Everything worked great with Vista 32bit. Hell began when I wanted to upgrade to 64bit.

After installing, and going through the removal of memory to 2GBissue, everything worked great. Until I noticed that the SATA drive had system files on it, mainly BOOTMGR and the BOOT folder. No problem I said, I booted from the Vista CD, when into the C prompt and reformated the SATA drive. I would like to be clear that it took me an entire day to get to this point as I had to off load the backup files to another location.

After formating the SATA drive, I disconnected it and reloaded Vista from scratch onto the SCSI (ID 0 for those that care). Once again, everything is wooking good. Downloaded all the new SATA and chip set drivers from Nvidia. Upgraded the BIOS from ASUS and all is well. UNTIL I reconnect the SATA drive. Vista will not boot. Says that BOOTMGR is missing. Disconnect the SATA drive and all is well. Reconnect the SATA, will not boot. This entire sytem worked great under Vista 32bit with the SATA drive with no issues.

One other item of note, in my quest to fix this issuse, one thing I tried was to boot the Vista 64bit CD, start the install process, clicked on the advanced drive options, loaded my SCSI driver, blew away the SATA drive's partition (so it was not even formated at that point) and tried to install. The install came up and told my that my SCSI ID 0 drive (which had 136GB of free space) "... was not acceptable as a system drive but my SATA drive was. Would I like to use the SATA drive for this purpose?" This was in a pop up box that came up when I hit 'Next' ondisk selectionscreen. WTF? Needless to say, I stopped the install, disconnected the SATA drive and Vista had no problem completing the install. I guess this was a classic case of 'loving the one you're with' :D

Sorry for the long post, but does anyone here had any idea of how I can connect my SATA drive and still boot my system as I am totally lost at this point?

Thanks in advance,

Numdydar

numdydar, Nov 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. numdydar

WAW8

On my system, which is a mixture of SATA and IDE drives, disconnecting and reconnecting a drive AUTOMATICALLY changes the boot sequence, so that whichever drive I just reconnected, is then set to be the boot drive. I'm suspecting that your system is doing just the same thing such that when you reconnect the SATA drive, your BIOS switches to boot from that drive.

I would check the boot order after you connect the SATA drive and confirmed that the SCSI 0 drive is still at the top of the list.

WAW8, Nov 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question