Screen Problem :( Black Becomes Red

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dainiseussi, Sep 26, 2010.

1. dainiseussi

dainiseussi

Hi there, I have come accross a strange problem :/ What is usually deep black is now a bright "flashing/blinking" red, similar to static on an old televsion...but red. Below is a video clip I have filmed of my problem.
    Video

Here is the exact same screen shot from the video. But I'm pretty sure if you open it up from your end, there's no red. I have tried this on my computer.
    Picture

I have tried system restore to two days ago because this problem occured yesturday, but nothing was fixed. Do I need to replace my entire screen? Or is there some way to fix this? Is it just my graphics card? I have tried googling this problem and I have found some people who have had this problem... but for their televisions... Not laptops ><

I run on Vista as admin.
    AMD Athlon x2 64
    ATI radeon graphics
    HP Pavilion Entertainment PC
    I've had this laptop for almost three years.

-----Edit:
    I just found out, my light blue also appears as hot pink :/

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
    dainiseussi, Sep 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. dainiseussi

WAW8

Unfortunately for you, your guess is correct -- when I open the picture, there is no red, flashing or otherwise.

Also, unfortunately, replacing the screen on a laptop is nowhere near as simple as doing it on a desktop. You have to first purchase a replacement screen (and they are not cheap!), you then have to disassemble your laptop and replace the screen with the new one. You need to have a manual that shows the disassembly steps and you need to be REAL CAREFUL with the ribbon cable that attaches the screen to the laptop,

I've done it myself, but I don't recommend it to someone unfamiliar with disassembling and repairing laptops.

Your graphics "card" is most likely a chip attached to the laptop motherboard and is, therefore, not replaceable. And, unless your laptop specifically provides for it, laptops in general provide no capability for adding video cards.

You might check with the laptop supplier to see what they would charge to diagnose and fix it.

WAW8, Sep 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. dainiseussi

dainiseussi

*Frowny Face* Well this sucks. Do you happen to know how much, on average, a new screen would cost?

dainiseussi, Sep 26, 2010
  4. dainiseussi

WAW8

Typically, around $100 -- but the price can vary considerably by individual laptop make and model.

Couple of places you can check are Screentek and laptopscreen.com.

But, as I said, it's a risk operation replacing the screen yourself, and you will need specific assembly and disassembly instructions for your laptop.

WAW8, Sep 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question