Screen goes NEARLY black, but cursor still fine

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Wesli_1, May 5, 2006.

1. Wesli_1

Wesli_1

Hi,

Apologies if this issue has already been posted - I've done a search and couldn't find anything.

The issue is the screen goes nearly black, i.e. everything is still displayed but just really dark, as if the brightness on the monitor has been turned right down. However, the mouse cursor still appears bright white.

It seems to occur pretty randomly. It has happened with both the default video drivers and the ATI beta drivers, and it has also occured both before and after the logon screen.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems, and if there is a known cause?

I am using Vista build 5342, Radeon X700.

Cheers,

Wes.

Wesli_1, May 5, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Wesli_1

Ranukano

Hmm this is a realy strange problem i myself havn't heard of before.

I take it you have looked at the common problems EX. The card is fully in, the wires are completely connected. I've had a similiar problem on computers from the wires being shaken loose but it mainly turns different colors.

I have an X600 with the default drivers and it worked fine for me.

Ranukano, May 5, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Wesli_1

Jason

That is wierd. Do you have any more computer specs? Make sure to check the monitor cable is plugged fully into the back of hte video card, if its half way it can produce similiar results, like was stated above. Other then that, when does the screen turn black? Does it only turn black when the OS boots or does it turn black when the bios is booting?

Jason, May 5, 2006
  4. Wesli_1

twharms

I ran into the same problem, a quick reboot fixed it immediately and the same problem has not reoccurred.

on a sidenote, after surfing the web i found articles upon articles about vista supporting nvidia, nearly zilch on ATI. Will the final public release not support ATI anymore?

twharms, Jun 15, 2006
  5. Wesli_1

scott123

I've encountered this problem as well after boot up. Until today, a re-boot usually fixed it. Today, re-booting simply got me back to the same problem. I did however find a temporary work around. Load up and preview any sceen saver, then wiggle the mouse and the desktop backround and desktop icons will appear.

scott123, Jun 20, 2006
  6. Wesli_1

kaixadelta

This seems like the laptop screenblank. r u using laptop 4 it?

kaixadelta, Jul 7, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question