screen flashing/blinking intermittantly

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by cjjames10, Jan 25, 2008.

1. cjjames10

cjjames10

Intermittent blinking or flashlight of screen (display) in any mode. Whether it be in an Office program or scrolling down a page in Firefox, the screen will flash on and off at different rates or go completely black. It will happen randomly as in after a few re-starts it seems to go away. In fact as I’m entering this post, it hasn’t flashes or blinked in two hours.

As for specs: I’ve updated the graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 2400 pro) with the latest updates and drivers. Fan is running and doesn’t seem to be a heat issue

I have a HP Pav a6150e, AMD 64X2 Dual Core 4K+ 2.1GHz, 2Gb ram, MS Vista, Home Premium 32-bit

I read about updating the drivers for the BIOS, though I do not know how to do this.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

cjjames10, Jan 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. cjjames10

MrMagic

This could be a problem with Vista and the pre-load, a driver problem I would guess if its software, but, in this case, I wouldn't rule out a hardware issue. Its possible, since its so intermittant that you could be having hardward failures after something gets warm or just plain too hot. Try to correlate this problem with the amount of time the machine has been on, if its a notebook, where you are sitting, in other words does it happen more when the notebook is flat and setting on a particular kind of surface, etc.

Being random like it is could be tough to figure out unless you nail down some kind of situation in which you are pretty certain its going to happen.

Steve

MrMagic, Jan 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. cjjames10

WAW8

First off, it's highly unlikely that this has anything to do with the BIOS. So, don't mess with the BIOS, especially if you bought the machine with Vista preloaded. Any tampering with the BIOS runs the risk of deactivating Vista -- which will then require you to send it back to HP to get it fixed.

Second, the ATI chipset you have is relatively new, so there's the possibility that the drivers haven't really "matured" yet for Vista. Are you running Catalyst v8? That's the latest version and only came out a few days ago.

Also, you could try changing your display preferences to turn off Aero. I know that Vista Basic is not as "rich" a visual experience as Aero, but if that solves the screen problem, you'll be surprised you quickly you get adjusted to it. I use the Basic screen presentation on my laptop and don't miss any of the Aero features.

WAW8, Jan 25, 2008
  4. cjjames10

TimeRanger

Are you SURE that the video cable is FIRMLY connected to the PC?

TimeRanger, Jan 25, 2008
  5. cjjames10

cjjames10

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Updated to V8 with ATI

Its a tower not a laptop and the temp on the board is pretty constant and the fan runs all the time.

DVI cable is firmly attached/screwed in at both the card and display

been on the system for a couple of hours now with no blinking (finally) though I don't want to hold my breath.

How do I disable Aero to run basic display? Can I please get instructions how to do this?

cjjames10, Jan 27, 2008
  6. cjjames10

WAW8

Turn off Aero as follows:

1) Click Start button

2) Select Control Panel, Appearance and Personalization

3) Select Change the Color Scheme

4) In the Appearance Settings area, click Windows Vista Basic, then click OK.

There will be a slight delay, and your screen appearance will then change.

WAW8, Jan 28, 2008
  7. cjjames10

cjjames10

The issue with intermittent blinking are still occurring.

Here is what I have done thus far (though not in this order)

Updated the bios

Disabled ‘TMM’

Switched from Aero to basic

Updated drivers and updates from ATI

Ensured that intergrated nvidia driver is disabled

Tested LCD monitor (HP v2007) on another computer with XP from several re-starts and from stand-by and hibernation with no issues with the monitor blinking

Radeon card has fan running and does not seem to get to hot

Cable connections are secure

cjjames10, Jan 29, 2008
  8. cjjames10

WAW8

What "integrated Nvidia driver" are you talking about? Though you said you're using a Radeon card.

Since you have an XP machine, do you have another panel/monitor you can swap with the Vista box to at least rule out a faulty video card?

WAW8, Jan 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question