Screen completely black after away mode?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by KateetaK, Dec 9, 2008.

1. KateetaK

KateetaK

When I try to come back from away mode, my screen stays black. I can even see the close button for my browser in the top right corner of the screen (that's all I can see is a part of that - nothing else), so I know it's got to be responding to some extent. Why is it black? I've been having to shut down by holding in the power button on the computer. In another thread, someone told me to find the BIOS update for my computer, but I couldn't find it. So now I can't even leave the computer on and walk away. Could someone please help me fix this?? All help is much appreciated!!

KateetaK, Dec 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. KateetaK

WAW8

I don't know what you mean by "away mode". Vista provides two options for when a machine is not actively being used -- hibernation and sleep. Both have proven to be problematic with Vista, in that returning from either often results in blank screen, loss of wireless/wired network connectivity, etc.

Holding down the power button is generally a bad idea, as it can lead to file system corruption, which will lead to data loss. Be aware, though, that the default action for selecting the power icon in the Start area is not shutdown (which I think is a mistake on the part of MS). So, if you're using that to turn off your machine, it is really NOT turning it off; it's putting it to sleep or hibernating it.

Look in your power options to see which your machine does when you leave it alone for a while -- hibernate or sleep.

Unfortunately, there's no "simple" cure for either of these. MS has released several Windows Updates to address them, but the problems remain.

WAW8, Dec 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. KateetaK

KateetaK

Sorry, I guess I meant hibernate. I had to go and set it to never hibernate because I have no other clue what to do & you're the only person who's even given me a response in any of the vista forums I've tried getting help in. I know this can't be good. I want to resolve the problem, but I have no idea where to even start.

KateetaK, Dec 10, 2008
  4. KateetaK

WAW8

Well, we have a pinned post in one of our forums (I think, this one) that addresses sleep problems in Vista. You could look through that and see if it fixes anything.

Getting a black screen upon awakening (from sleep or hibernation) is more often than not a video driver issue. You need to check to ensure that you have the latest video driver version.

As to BIOS updates, the advice is correct because having hibernate or sleep recover properly is critically dependent on BIOS options. But, if there's no newer BIOS update for your machine, that's not of any help.

You could also try going to the Event log to see what errors are getting generated. That might provide a clue as to what is failing upon recovery from hibernation.

WAW8, Dec 10, 2008
  5. KateetaK

KateetaK

I am actually getting a TON of errors and stuff in the Event Viewer. I saw it last night. Here is a thread I made for that:

Here.

KateetaK, Dec 10, 2008
  6. KateetaK

WAW8

Actually, you realize that you posted that thread in a different website forum, right?

Plus, there's no log to look at.

WAW8, Dec 10, 2008
  7. KateetaK

KateetaK

How can I show them here in the thread?

KateetaK, Dec 10, 2008
  8. KateetaK

WAW8

Down at the bottom of the post, when you're replying, there is a button for Edit Attachments. You click that and browse for the file you want to attach.

Should let you know, though, that I can only spend a few minutes a day on this forum and don't have a lot of time to roam through hundreds of lines of error logs; so, unless I spot something right off, I won't get back with much.

WAW8, Dec 11, 2008
  9. KateetaK

KateetaK

I appreciate any help you could give. :)

I knew how to attach things, I just wasn't sure which formet to use. I put it as a word doc. If that's too hard to read, please let me know how else to do it. I'm not sure, this is a first.

Thanks again for taking a look.

KateetaK, Dec 12, 2008
  10. KateetaK

WAW8

WAW8, Dec 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question