Sata Drivers for Gateway MT-6707 Laptop/Vista Premium Hanging at Install, Need help locating Drivers

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by kustomizedstang, Dec 6, 2007.

1. kustomizedstang

kustomizedstang

Hello, I have been pulling my hair out for 4 days trying to install Vista on my laptop. I found that the laptop was riddled with viruses and spyware so I did a clean sweep of the harddrive and prepared it for installing vista again.

I have done everything short of buying a new harddrive, I ran HD utilities to wipe the harddrive which leaves it as a clean install. I then placed my Windows Vista Premium disc into the computer and it did its thing up until where it says Completing Install...

Then it does nothing for over an hour, goes onto a blank screen with the mouse pointer in the center and nothing from there. If I reboot the computer, it says that windows hadnt been installed correctly and needs to be redone.

I have read that this has happened to thousands of people for different reasons ranging from unsupported components to Sata drivers for your harddrive.

At the screen where you upload drivers before selecting which harddrive to choose, I tried to install the Gateway Sata drivers but they arent recognized by Vista.

I then ran Boot and Nuke to make sure the harddrive was wiped as clean as possible. The Vista installation does the exact same thing. I have tried every driver known to man and cant find the correct driver to boot from the sata drive that came with the computer.

Here is the component list for the laptop

Components list for

Batteries and AC Adapters

2527829R - 65-Watt 3-Prong AC Adapter and Power Cord Assembly (CRU/EURP)

6501142 - 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (CRU/EURP)

6501147 - 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (CRU/EURP)

8015753R - 3-Prong Power Cord (CRU/EURP)

Hard Drives

2527773R - 160-GB 5400-RPM SATA Hard Drive Assembly (CRU/EURP)

Keyboards

7010659R - US Keyboard (CRU/EURP)

LCD Display Panel

2527817R - 15.4-inch WXGA Ultrabright TFT Active Matrix Assembly (FRU)

Memory

2527650R - 1024 MB 533 MHz DDR2 SDRAM Assembly - (CRU/EURP)

Modems

8010884R - Modem Module (FRU)

Motherboard

4006174R - Motherboard Intel 943GML and IEEE 1394 (FRU)

Network

6008038R - Integrated Realtek 802.11b/g Wireless Networking (CRU/EURP)

Optical Drives

2527901R - 8X Multi-Format Dual Layer Optical Drive Assembly (CRU/EURP)

Processor

4506360R - Core Duo Processor T2060 (1.60 GHz 533 MHz FSB 1MB L2) (FRU)

I need some input/location for drivers for this harddrive. I searched intel's website for basic sata drivers for notebooks and I couldnt find any. Anyone else fixed something like this? I am giving the laptop to my mother as a christmas present and need to get it fixed before Christmas, any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

kustomizedstang, Dec 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. kustomizedstang

cyclic

I went to their page for that machine and followed the route to get to the driver,

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=20974&dscr=Windows XP and Vista (32-bit or 64-bit) SATA/Mass Storage Controller version: Intel 6.2.0.2002

If this is the one you have tried then there is no reason why it shouldn't work I downloaded it and checked the byte by byte header and decoration for Vista drivers and all is as it should be. How are you trying to load this driver ? it should be on a removabe USB drive (assuming the lask of a floppy). If Vista can't or wont install for some reason it gives a message to that effect with an error number, like if it cannot see the hardrive.

However there is also this included in the driver package on how to install the driver.

F6 Floppy Install............comment-you should be able to put them on a USB drive.

Note: A Microsoft supported external floppy disk drive is required to use the F6 Floppy install feature.

1. In the C:\Cabs\D20035-001-001 folder, there are two subfolders titled F6 Floppy x86 and F6 Floppy x64.

2. Copy the contents of the F6 Floppy x86 or F6 Floppy x64 folders to a floppy disk, depending on which type of operating system you are installing.

Note: The x86 folder contains the ICH7M chipset files for a 32-bit operating system. The x64 folder contains the files for a 64-bit operating system.

Note: The F6 floppy install files are provided as a courtesy. Gateway only supports the operating system originally sold with your computer.

Which means if it don't work don't blame us.

cyclic, Dec 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. kustomizedstang

Tinman

may be easier to install the restore disc's that came with the computer then upgrade to vista......just a thought.

Tinman, Dec 7, 2007
  4. kustomizedstang

kustomizedstang

Well guys, thats the thing, This computer came with Vista Premium and there were no install disks. Its a new thing they are doing with a partition dedicated to restoring.

Ive tried to boot those drivers at the screen where you select your windows partition. In the bottom left it says Load Drivers. I have tried the Sata controller drivers from Gateway.com on a cd, on a dvd, and on a USB drive. It never sees anything applicable to my hardware.

Im starting to think it isnt anything to do with Sata drivers though because Vista sees the drive at 160gb and tries to install to it just fine. I just installed ubuntu on it and it worked perfectly. I dont know what to do, any ideas? I have disabled EVERYTHING possible in bios and this isnt working. I took out 512mb of the ram and just left one stick in like some forums recommended. I am about done trying with this stupid thing. I dont see why anyone would make hardware that was married to an OS like Vista. This thing doesnt want any OS on it now after a clean wipe. Any input will help. Thanks

kustomizedstang, Dec 7, 2007
  5. kustomizedstang

Tinman

laptops seem to be a pain for everyone.....do you have access to xp? i bet xp would install.....if so i'd do that and then try upgrade.....or ya may have to call gateway and no doubt do some begging.....:eek:\

Tinman, Dec 7, 2007
  6. kustomizedstang

cyclic

The dedicated restore partition is actually quite a long standing thing to get them around having to give out CD or DVD's, I take it from your not having mentioned it that you have deleted that partition and didn't make a restore DVD at any time ? If you are trying to install a version of Vista other than the oem version it came with it's not likely to work since although you can't see why anyone would, tying an oem version to the BIOS of a PC is exactly what they do making each dependant on the other, sure an OS without any MS files involved would install as the partition and file systems are different. Initially it's to prevent you from attempting to make an install disk and use it on another machine, however it has other ramifications too as mentioned.

I am puzzled though as to why it just leaves you with a blank screen unless that's all it can do because it's BIOS locked and cannot see the original oem files containing the activation details which is normally done offline as the first part of the 'first run' these preinstalled systems go through. Perhaps a call to the manufacturer would clear it up it's not like your doing anything illicit you just want to install a retail version of Vista (which we know the hardware supports)as you have lost the original system it came with, I'm thinking there may be a flash utility which will overwrite the lock info allowing it to function as any other BIOS............worth a try they can only say no!

cyclic, Dec 7, 2007
  7. kustomizedstang

Tinman

i read elsewhere where you may be able to disable sata in bios.......some won't let you do it though.

Tinman, Dec 7, 2007
  8. kustomizedstang

cyclic

As it's oem it will be a custom board and BIOS which being fitted with a SATA only drive probably doesn't need an enable option like boards for desktops which carry both ATAPI\IDE and SATA risers.

cyclic, Dec 8, 2007
  9. kustomizedstang

WAW8

It's probably NOT a SATA driver problem because if it was, Vista wouldn't have been able to find the drive and install. My guess is that the machine is getting hung up during the final installation phase when it reboots to the hard drive.

I provided some suggestions in another post:

https://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/FindPost12276.aspx

Have you tried either of those?

WAW8, Dec 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question