SATA drive not detected in BIOS.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by AmericanNightmare, Aug 3, 2007.

1. AmericanNightmare

AmericanNightmare

Ok this is really starting to irritate me i am beginning to remeber why i always use ASUS boards! Anyway i am up and running but on a crappy 20G Maxtor b/c my BIOS won't recognize the SATA drive. I havethe SATA controllerenabled and i have tried all 4 connectors with no luck. Updated BIOS still no luck. Windows won't see it either. Tried installing the Nvidia drivers of the support disk did not think that work an well it didn't. Actually i'm sureit's the stupid Nvidia chipset but i updated it and still no SATA action.

I have never seen a modern board thatdid not recognize SATA drives automatically i have tried2 different drives a working Samsung and the new EXCELSTORE/Hitachi and in tandem as well.

On a lighter note i already have her OC'ed at 2.5Mhz on a whole 512 MB of RAM........One of my sticks was DOA teach me not to buy RAM i am not familiar with.

AMD Opteron 1212 Dual core/ASRock ALiveNF6G with a Nvidia 6100/nForce430 chipset.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. AmericanNightmare

WAW8

It's a wild guess but I had it work for me on an older mobo ... The 3MB SATA drives have a jumper setting to step it back down to 1.5 -- to be compatible with "older" equipment. Might try that and see if the ASRock then recognizes the "new" SATA drive as an "older" drive.

WAW8, Aug 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. AmericanNightmare

AmericanNightmare

Thanks for the response WAW8. Yeah i thought about that too but it did not work the Samsung has limitation jumpers but not the EXCELSTOR anyway i tried running the Samsung alone jumpered to 1.5 with no luck. I believe it's just a faulty controller at this point,i ordered a good SATA II/PCI express controller card from Tiger Direct. I would rather not RMA this board as i am an impatient lad and it officially supports the 2nd Gen. Optys.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 7, 2007
  4. AmericanNightmare

WAW8

Good luck with the add on SATA card. I tried several with an older non-SATA machine and not a single one worked. When I went back and complained to where I bought them, I was told "Yeah, we get a lot of trouble with those. None of them seem to work!"

So, if yours works, please let me know the model number and how much it cost. I'm not interested in a $150+ SATA-RAID controller, I just want a simple SATA II (as in 3GB) PCI controller.

WAW8, Aug 8, 2007
  5. AmericanNightmare

AmericanNightmare

I am up and running with this right now came first thing this morning along with the other Spinpoint and some more RAM. Was super easy to set up i just loaded the drivers during the drive setup screen on install of Home Premium refreshed and hello there are my drives. I am not sure how it will work with your board obviously. It has XP drivers but that did not seem to bother Vista any. Again i'll say it is working on "my" board. A lot of folks online seem to have issues with them as well so................. 25 bucks plus shipping.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2930519&CatId=1455

AmericanNightmare, Aug 8, 2007
  6. AmericanNightmare

WAW8

OK -- Guess I missed the part where this is a PCI-Express card. My "old" system that doesn't have SATA also doesn't have PCI-Express; only has PCI. So, thanks for the info, anyway.

WAW8, Aug 8, 2007
  7. AmericanNightmare

AmericanNightmare

Sorry i could not be of more help. I did some checking and none of the PCI cards appear to SATA 300 compliant but Newegg.com has some for 150 SATA starting a 13 bucks or so that get pretty good reviews, I guess if you wanted you could limit your drive and try running it that way. Your mobo might not be compatible with any PCI/ SATA controllers but for $13 if it don't work your not out much and Newegg has always accepted my returns no problem.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question