Safest way to recover WIN Vista?

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by thorsonb, Jul 10, 2010.

1. thorsonb

thorsonb

I got a friend who apparently downloaded a Virus on his computer, and now his computer wont load past th BIOS /POST (power on system test) screen…..

I was thinking… just get a Live Linux/Ubuntu CD, using that and retrieve whatever important he has saved on his HDD… and then re-install WIN_Vista

I’m not sure if he has his OS on a separate partition, and data (files/documents/videos/music) on a separate partition.

Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this?

Since I’m not an expert, I’m sure my friend would be happy enough to know that his files were retrieved… he should care less about his system settings / configurations

Or maybe there is a LIVE Windows Vista CD? That one can make use of?? And maybe I try get a “System Restore Point” ??

P.s. this person doesn’t have the Installation discs for Vista, it came pre installed with the computer (second hand)…

thorsonb, Jul 10, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. thorsonb

WAW8

Well, we have a pinned post on how to use Ubuntu LiveCD to copy off your files. Suggest you read it.

And no, there is no LiveCd version of Vista. MS does not want their OSs to be portable.

If you see such things being reported on various websites, they are lying to you. What they are really offering is bootable versions of WinPE -- which looks a lot like Vista when it starts, but in fact, is NOT Vista.

And sorry, there is no place that you can legally download an image of Vista that can be used to install/reinstall your machine. Suggest you contact your machine vendor about obtaining full-reinstall disks from them. They will probably charge you for them, but they will be cheaper than buying Vista outright.

WAW8, Jul 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question