Running PCI & AGP Video cards at the same time

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by pricerage, Dec 17, 2006.

1. pricerage

pricerage

I have two video cards in my PC. One (Geforce FX 5200)runs on AGP and the other (radeon x1300) runs on PCI. Both work very well independently. In fact, the radeon x1300 runs two displays beautifully. That its not quite enough though. I would like to get the third display operational. I can switch between the cards in the bios by switching the primary video bus from agp to pci. Whichever one is selected will run as expected. The other will be disabled by Vista with an error that says "incompatible display adapter (this device has been disabled due to errors)"

Is this configuration supported in Vista? Is there some sort of work around?

pricerage, Dec 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. pricerage

Jason

Im fairly sure it is not possible to run both a pci and agp at once. Especially in a split screen enviorment.

Jason, Dec 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. pricerage

pricerage

This is unfortunate since it worked very well in Windows XP. I understand that Vista is much more video dependent, but I would have thought that with its ability to degrade video quality based on capability, this would still be possible.

pricerage, Dec 18, 2006
  4. pricerage

oddlike7

The only way to use dual display adapters on a Vista system, is if they are both on the same bus (PCI), and if they are the same Make/manufacturer. The drivers have to be the same for both cards, otherwise Vista chokes.

oddlike7, Feb 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question