Restrict access to certain folders from certain accounts

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by jrowland, Aug 22, 2008.

1. jrowland

jrowland

I've recently upgraded to Vista, and have set up my kids' accounts. I love the parental controls built in to Vista! I still have 1 "kid restriction" that I'd like to setup, but I cannot figure out. I have a 500GB external hard drive, and there are only certain folders that I would like them to access. For example, under my "Music" folder, I have a lot of kid-inappropriate music, in the "Adult Music" sub-folder. Is there a way to allow their accounts to access specific folders, but not all?

Thanks,

Jimmy

jrowland, Aug 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. jrowland

kingofnexus

I'm not familiar with the parental security features in Vista myself, so there probably a better way of going about this than what I'm about to describe.

Right click the folder you wish to make available to you only, choose 'properties'. Go into the 'security' tab. Select 'Edit'.

Now in the dialogue box you can change the permissions of folder access for other usernames, and block the kid's account from being able to read and write to the folder.

kingofnexus, Aug 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question