restoring lost pictures

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by JadePriest, Apr 3, 2008.

1. JadePriest

JadePriest

Ok I have NO idea what I did but all my photos are gone. When I go to start menu then do a search for *.jpg all my photos are there but when I go to the folder it says it is in there is nothing there. I am assuming I deleted them by mistake. But the trash can is empty and I tried to do a restore point but I gues there are no restore points for me to go back too. Is there anything I can do or are they all lost..... thanx in advance.

JadePriest, Apr 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. JadePriest

WAW8

How are you going to the folder? Are you doing it inside of the search? Or are you using Explorer to try to find it yourself?

WAW8, Apr 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. JadePriest

JadePriest

I go through explorer. When I double click the file in the search it gives me an error:

"Photo Gallery can't open this picture because it might have been deleted or is in a location that is not available."

I heard once awhile ago that nothing on your computer really gets deleted there is always a trace of it somewhere.

JadePriest, Apr 5, 2008
  4. JadePriest

WAW8

What you heard is mostly correct in that erasing files does not actually remove them; instead, it overwrites their directory entries. So, the file content is still there, it's just that standard file system apps can't see them anymore. However, the OS marks the space as reusable, so eventually, given enough usage, the file space will get overwritten.

To get the files back, you need to use a third-party utility like RecoverMyFiles or GetDataBack, which can locate file content. Windows will not be able to recover these files for you; it only sees valid directory entries.

WAW8, Apr 6, 2008
  5. JadePriest

JadePriest

Thanx alot for the info.

JadePriest, Apr 6, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question