Restore points don't work.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by neeragoitein, May 2, 2011.

1. neeragoitein

neeragoitein

All of a sudden I had some scareware called Vista antispyware (something like that). I did a McAfeee scan and it said it found 3 things and fixed them, and also found Artemis and quarateed it. But subsequently my Games don't work and when I tried to do a Systems Restore, it wouldn't work either.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

neeragoitein, May 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. neeragoitein

WAW8

Telling us that System Restore "wouldn't work" is not very useful.

Contrary to popular believe, System Restore does NOT restore your entire Windows setup to an earlier date; instead, all it does is restore old versions of some system files and some settings.

I found that McAffee was not very reliable,so I stopped using it.

Suggest you download and run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and Super Anti Spyware. They have good success in finding and removing Malware.

If you have a Vista Installation DVD, you can try a Repair Install, in which you insert the DVD into the optical drive, and reinstall Vista -- choosing the "Upgrade" option, and NOT entering a Product Key. That will basically rewrite your system files -- but you will also have to do nearly ALL the Windows Updates again.

You can also use the same DVD to boot from it, select Command Mode, and enter "sfc /scannow" -- which will look for missing/damaged system files and repair them. That will not require doing all the Windows Updates again.

If your PC came preloaded with Vista (meaning you do NOT have an installation DVD), about all you can do is a Factory Refresh -- which will wipe out all your applications and data. Suggest you contact the PC vendor if you want to go that route.

WAW8, May 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. neeragoitein

neeragoitein

Thanks

Thanks for your help. I think I am going to restore it to factory new condition. Best wishes.

neeragoitein, May 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question