required password for XP

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by AMG, Oct 7, 2008.

1. AMG

AMG

Hi all, I have read through some posts and have found close to my problem but not quite, mine seems to be a bit opposite.

I have one laptop XP home and one laptop vista home premium,

both computers are on same workgroup, both computers have file sharing turned on

the vista machine has password protection DISABLED.

( I have also tried disabling the windows firewalls on both machines)

The xp machine seems to have access to the public forlder of the vista machine, but

the vista machine asks for a password when i try and access the xp computer. I have tried every username and every password of all the accounts on both machines but nothing lets me in, any ideas ?

thanks, AMG

AMG, Oct 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. AMG

AMG

I hate this, I solved it. for those of you with similar problems, no, you dont need the same account names and passwords, the problem was simple yet not simple, the shared folder in xp which can be accessed by all users on the xp machine technically is not considered a full share folder. You must bypass the wizard and set it to full share, then it is accessible by vista, before that vista does not see any shared folder on the xp machine, so like the idiot software that it is, it asks for a username and password, instead of just saying there are no shared folders. ( and like I said, even though it is asking for a username and password, it is a moot question, there is no correct answer ), I should have switched to mac on principal for these morons at microsoft not just leaving xp alone, it was the best they ever came up with. administrator, you can close this thread if you wish.

AMG, Oct 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question