Request assistance removing impediment

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by talkwme, Dec 18, 2016.

1. talkwme

talkwme

I've had this desktop computer for maybe 6 years and the performance has been merely okay but something has been amiss the whole time, I am quite certain. I have begun finally to get an inkling of the source of the problem. Sometimes it takes 45 or more seconds for a simple text file to open. But it always finally does open! Sometimes my machine makes whirring noises, like the hard drive is overworked or something else is laboring. Now I finally see what I believe to be the root of these danged problems. Looking at Task Manager there are of course many many entries for "svchost". But how can I differentiate what each one's function is? ONE of those entries is hogging CPU at an alarming rate, using about 50% capacity nearly ALL the time! ...and it is hogging immeasurable memory too: often more than a gigabyte!! PLEASE: can someone help me to determine the matter. I honestly don't think this is caused by any malware, or I would see other troubles. I can instruct Task Manager to End the offending Process, but that leads to an inability to retrieve my email, and the process doesn't actually get off the list AND the huge memory allotment is NOT freed up either. If only I know what precise service this offender represents, and I could disable it in MSConfig or something. I will supply more info on subsequent posts. Kindly offer me insight. The PC is an HP SR5510F AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core 5000+ 2.60 GHz with 2.87 GB and 32-bit Operating system. More to come when if needed. THANK YOU!

talkwme, Dec 18, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. talkwme

talkwme

OK, I seem to have made headway. Since there's no apparent way to determine which (of scores) of services controlled by "svchost,exe" is the culprit; I went to the "Services" tab of Task Manager and just started right-clicking one by one each service it showed as "Running" and ordered it Stopped. Finally, near the end, when I Stopped "Windows Update" I immediately heard my machine's whirring noises stopped, and I checked the Performance tab and Processes tab and saw that the offending process had QUIT hogging machine resources. So I went and Ran MSCONFIG.EXE and unchecked Windows Update in the list of selectively-started services. Sure enough, when I then rebooted, the problem was GONE! And since Vista no longer gets updates, there should be no loss. And I also spent a thrifty $72 on eBay for a like-new (refurbished) SFF PC preloaded with Windows 10, that has similar capabilities to my current machine. Eventually I'll move everything onto that PC and junk this old horse.

THANKS for your kind attentions! (You were paying attention, weren't you?) ;)

talkwme, Dec 20, 2016
    1. Advertisements