replacing 32 bit Vista w/ 64 bit version

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by faust1200, Nov 11, 2007.

1. faust1200

faust1200

Several months ago when my system was assembled (mainly for gaming) I was advised to use Vista 32 because of driver issues etc. Now I feel I want to install Vista 64.

I am already running a dual boot xp/vista 32 system, each with their own partition and on a RAID 0 array. Do I have to uninstall vista 32 before installing vista 64 or does the installer do that automatically? Can I just boot the vista 64 bit DVD and tell it which partition I need to use and let it go to town? Anything I need to do beforehand? Yes I'm aware this wipes the whole partition, etc. I'm mainly just checking to see if theres anything else I need to know so I don't majorly bork something up. Thanks for any comments ;)

faust1200, Nov 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. faust1200

kingofnexus

Yes, vista disc takes care of everything pretty much itself. What I fpund it did with me is that it didn't wipe the drive, it moved everything to one side into a windows.old folder, then installed a fresh windows onto the partition. I could then move any files I wanted from the older install over to the new one, then simply deleted the windows.old. It effectively wiped everything off and I managed to keep what I wanted, and didn't need to touch the backup discs I created with my files. This isn't guarenteed to work btw, it just what the vista x64 disc did for me when I chose custom install and clicked past the screens which told me it would wipe everything off (although it didn't). Took the installer hours to install vistamind.

kingofnexus, Nov 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. faust1200

cyclic

:) Lie down in a darkened room for half an hour it'll pass [​IMG]sorry couldn't resist.

Welcome to the forums I hope you find it useful, certainly there are only a very few issues left with drivers for X64 and then only for really ancient hardware, as has been previously said, not in so many words, the 'over install' of X64 is completely painless and you even get a chance to catch up on some sleep, it does take what I am sure is an unecessarily long time.

cyclic, Nov 11, 2007
  4. faust1200

faust1200

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I know it's a pain for a negligible benefit but it will be an even bigger pain if I do it later since I don't really have much on my HD yet. Thanks again.

faust1200, Nov 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question