Repeated BSOD during final setup phase of Vista Ultimate x64 Install

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by jmc303, Nov 20, 2008.

1. jmc303

jmc303

Hello All,

I've just finished building a new computer with the following spec:

Tyan Tempest i5400 S5397 Mobo,

Intel Xeon 5405 2Ghz Quad-core,

8Gb of Crucial 667Mhz FBDimm,

Sapphire Radeon HD4870 x2,

Creative X-Fi variant sound card,

HDD is 1TB Samsung Sata,

DVD is an LG Sata affair too.

Essentially on the very first install attempt (and all there-after) I get a BSOD during the final phase of the Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 install (after the reboots where you are no longer running of the cd but off the Windows files that have been unpacked to HDD). At this point the System gets to a blue screen (but not a BSOD) saying "please wait while Windows continues setting up your computer". It will never get past this stage without the BSOD 0x00000101 clock interrupt not received by a secondary processor.

The memory and CPU are bothed explicitly listed as being supported by the mobo in manufacturer specification so it isnt a compatibility error. The mobo has its own on board gpu (though this doesnt meet Vista min spec) so I attempted to strip down the spec to CPU, Mobo and 1 stick (4gb) of Ram and there is no change in the above problem.

CPU is not overheating as BIOS reports it running between 60 and 40 degrees (celcius) below max temp, memory is touch cool also. I've tried switching the 2 memory modules around and no change.

Unfortunately I dont have another set of components to compare with, least of all some that are already known to be good. I've also checked the voltages that are being reported and they seem to be fine, all within +_ 0.05V of the target. I reseated the CPU and moved the memory between slots (I even tried using the secondary cpu slot) and I'm really stumped.

Any help much appreciated

[edit] I should point out that after the BSOD, when you get back to the same screen as above for a second time, it says windows has suffered an unexpected error during installation and cannot continue, please restart the computer and then restart the installation.

jmc303, Nov 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. jmc303

WAW8

There have been numerous reports of Vista failing installation if more than 2GB of memory is present at the time of the install. I see you have 4GB. Try inserting less to finish the installation. Once installed, it should take more memory without problems.

Also, you should look through our pinned post on troubleshooting BSOD errors.

WAW8, Nov 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. jmc303

jmc303

As you will see if you read the previous post in detail, the smallest Ram stick size I have is 4GB and I don't have any other available sticks.

I looked at the troubleshooting thread however it has the prerequisite that an operating system is availabe and you will also note that I cannot currently install an OS hence my posting of the thread.

Thanks for trying to help but does anyone else have any other suggestions as I'm not going to buy 1 2GB stick of fbdimm memory purely for the sake of installing Windows?

[edit] Also note this is the Windows Vista x64 SP1 and so the necessary info for correcting the 4gb install error "should" be included

[edit2] Also worth noting I have doen the Windows memory test that comes with the repair install facility on the Windows DVD and every combination of components passes

jmc303, Nov 20, 2008
  4. jmc303

WAW8

Yeah -- I read that you only had 4GB ram sticks. But I presumed that after spending hundreds of dollars to acquire Vista 64-bit, you'd be willing to spend a few buck to buy a single stick of memory (around here, such purchases are returnable for a full refund), to see if that gets you over the installation crash problem.

When I googled this board, the press release mentioned "server" usage. That implies, to me, that Tyan expects this board to be used with some version of Windows Server, not with a desktop OS.

Also, when I looked at other instances of this failure, they were all fixed by upgraded BIOS's and/or updated chipset drivers. In your case, that would mean that you would need to ensure that both the BIOS and chipset drivers are designed for Vista 64-bit -- and the latest of each.

WAW8, Nov 20, 2008
  5. jmc303

jmc303

Well ordinarily i wouldnt give two hoots about spending a bit more to buy the extra ram, however where I am (UK) its almost impossible to buy fb-dimms over the counter so I'd end up mail/internet ordering and then having to arrange return etc which is something i'd prefer to be a last resort since couriers around here are over-priced and very very unreliable.

The board itself is a workstation board though obviously its more than capable as a server-board. I have a support ticket logged with Tyan and I'm waiting for them to get back to me but I'm not particularly hopeful about that as alot of the published support tickets related to their high-end boards and Vista basically say "this is a known issue, Microsoft are aware please se webpage X" following the link takes tou to a Microsoft webpage which basically says that this is a pre SP1 issue and so SP1 install CD's shouldnt have this problem.. which leaves me no closer than I was originally.

This is why I was hoping that somebody might be able to suggest some trick with Vista installs etc that might fix it. Incedentally the CPU and mobo are Vista compatible, and certainly there is no reason why a server edition of windows would be required. I might try installing an unlicenced version of XP purely so that I can consequently upgrade to Vista, perhaps that will work... though I don't see why it would make any differencs...

jmc303, Nov 20, 2008
  6. jmc303

WAW8

OK, understand your reluctance to go through a lot of grief regarding the memory ...

Looking over your specs again, I notice that both the HDD and DVD are SATA, so did you press F6 during install and load the SATA drivers for your chipset? Also, I've read that replacing a SATA DVD drive with an IDE one during installation can sometimes solve this problem.

WAW8, Nov 20, 2008
  7. jmc303

jmc303

I've fiddled with the bios and chip settings till the cows came home, I still could'nt get past the same point in the install process though I did get a slightly different BSOD but it was too fast to read and since I cant change those setting until windows is installed I'm pretty stumped as to what it was about. Unfortunately I don't have an IDE DVD player knocking about but I might try and acquire one this weekend and see if that works. I'm beginning to think the "secondary processor" it was referring to was the mobo chip that controls the various HDD controllers (there are 3 on my mobo 1 for SAS 1 for IDE/floppy and another for SATA). I've tried to load the relevant drivers into the win install but it keeps giving me some garbage about it not being able to do it and that there is a more up to date version (given that its not connected to the i-net i don't know how it can imagine that, furthermore the driver versions I tried to give it are explicitly for vista x86/x64 and are certainly the mos recent releases). It's also odd because when i change the sata controller setting to a particular set, the win install dvd tells me that the drive may not be compatible with my hardware, but when i use the other 'normal' settings it is fine with the drive. In every case it cant load the relevant drivers.

Given this new info what would you say it was?

my guesses in no particular order are

SATA AHCI driver issue,

SATA AHCI controller issue,

Win Vista x64 installer issue (either the install process or the dvd i have)

jmc303, Nov 20, 2008
  8. jmc303

jmc303

Update:

The new BSOD was a 0x00000124 one, normally linked to sound cards and nvidia graphics (of which neither is installed)

I've dug around a bit and based on the bios settings that wre in use when it occured and another persons experience elsewhere I'm testing another solution, i.e that with thsat Bios config I should enable 32bit disk access. to stop the x00000124 error, we'll soon see if this works!

jmc303, Nov 21, 2008
  9. jmc303

WAW8

Don't use AHCI mode, so don't personally have experience with it ... but the link below has some info on how someone else was able to get it to work. Involves downloading stuff from Intel and loading it using F6 (know you already tried something, but maybe this will help):

[url]http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31446911/problem-enabling-ahci-und.aspx [/url]

And yeah, I read that AHCI drivers are supposed to be included in Vista, which is how it can tell you that the drivers you're attempting to load have been superceded.

WAW8, Nov 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question