Removing XP in dual boot after Vista Install

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by WAW8, Feb 7, 2007.

1. WAW8

WAW8

This is a different twist on the dual boot questions ...

Have dual boot of XP Pro and Vista 32-bit Business. Took a LOT of work to get Vista to work on my tablet PC because the vendor doesn't actually support it. But now that I have it working, I want to remove the XP partition and just run Vista. (I know, that sounds crazy -- but that's what I want to do!!).

Even though I installed from DVD, not from inside XP, Vista found XP and put it on the boot menu. But it also put bootmgr and the rest of the new boot files in the XP partition. If I remove that partition, how do I get Vista to replace the new boot files? Is there some kind of recovery option on the DVD that will allow me to do this?

P.S. If this has already been answered in the forums, please just tell me where and I'll go look it u.

Thanks in advance...

WAW8, Feb 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. WAW8

Jason

There is a recovery option on the vista dvd to re-write the boot sector. I would belive erasing that partition w/ xp and booting from the dvd and re-writting the boot sector should work. You may still be prompted at boot to choose xp or vista but if your right click my computer > properties > advanced settings (left side) > startup you can remove the xp option.

By theory this should work but backup and data on vista partition you want incase you need to reinstall vista.

Jason, Feb 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question