Removing icons from desktop

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Flossie, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Flossie

Flossie

I have managed (or more crrectly my 12yo did) to drag two icons onto the desktop and I cannot seem to get rid of them. One is what appears to be a shortcut to System Configuration. but when I right click I am asked if I want ot create a shortcut, not delete it> the otehr is what appears to be a c?documents folder that is not a shortcut. I have backed everything up onto my external hard drive and have tried to delete this, but it doesn't delete. It asks permission and then says it can't do it. I am also nervous about it deleting what might be important things.

I'm pretty good technically, but this is really bugging me. I try always to have a clear desktop and these two things need to go.

Thanks for any help! Deb

Flossie, Aug 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Flossie

WAW8

If, when you click it, you get asked if you want to create a shortcut -- what you're clicking is not a shortcut, it's a folder. If you then delete it, you run the risk of deleting the actual folder.

Best way to deal with this is to open two instances of Windows Explorer -- one instance for the desktop, the other for the location of the actual folder. If the folder exists elsewhere from the desktop, then it's safe to delete the folder on the desktop because it's a copy. If not, move the desktop folder to its proper location.

WAW8, Aug 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question