Remove / Add Shared Folders

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by loadeddreams, May 27, 2007.

1. loadeddreams

loadeddreams

I have 4 folders in my documents that I would like to share.

Two folders inside of my Videos folder, my music, and my pictures.

I want to keep these files inside of my documents folder (C:\Users\fragile[my user]) for many reasons (extenders, wmp, etc..)

These folders are stated to be shared when I right click them and click share. I get two options, stop sharing, or change sharing permissions, but they are not seen on my network (when all my other shares are)

When I try to stop sharing them (so I can start over) I get an error message stating they cannot stop being shared because they are inside of a shared folder.

The lowest shared folder they are in is C:\Users

I also do not have the option to stop sharing C:\Users for whatever reason Vista thinks I should be sharing it.

So in short, is there a way to share files inside of your users folder? or is there a way to stop sharing C:\Users?

loadeddreams, May 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. loadeddreams

loadeddreams

resolved.

I had to right click the folder > properties > share > advanced > and select share folder.

From there only my user could access it, so I had to right click > share > edit sharing permissions and add the user "everyone" (I'm not worried about security, highly tightened network with wpa2 and hardware firewall logging all traffic via shorewall and router's hardware firewall)

That seemed to do it, even though after I added the user everyone I got an error message, it still added the user, so no complaints I guess.

EDIT: adding the user "everyone" from advanced sharing properties did not resolve this issue, I *had* to add the user everyone from right click > share > edit share properties

Hope this helps someone else :)

loadeddreams, May 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question