Removal of clean install with Vista SP1??

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by scottyt, Nov 12, 2007.

1. scottyt

scottyt

We've all heard about (and waited impatiently for..) Vista SP1, but I can't be sure that Microsoft may pull another one of their sneaky moves. Remember how it's possible to do a clean install on Windows Vista with the upgrade DVD, by installing Vista first and then upgrading Vista to a useable Vista? The case has been for years that there has always been a clean install option, but Microsoft tried to force it's users to [at best] by the full version of Vista to do a clean install by 'removing' the ability to do a clean install whilst installing Windows Vista. Hopefully I'm not horribly wrong by saying this, and if I am indeed wrong... well I'm sorry haha. In any case, presuming what I've said is correct, do you think that with the service pack 1 coming out soon, Microsoft will permanently remove this clean install ability [with the upgrade disk]? Specifically what I'm talking about is the updating of software on the DVD disks that they sell, in the boxes, in the stores. That's what they did for XP SP2, am I right? So logically, in typical Microsoft fashion, they're likely to do the same. Sorry if I'm a little bit wordy.

So what it comes down to is this: Do you think [or know] that Microsoft will remove the clean installation option/workaround when it releases Vista SP1 and therefore sells the Vista disks with SP1 preinstalled??????????

Any advice would be very nice! = )

Thanks, Scott

scottyt, Nov 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. scottyt

WAW8

Well ... if you really have been following the early reports on Vista SP1, you'll have seen that most claim it will be little more than a collection of hot fixes, to the degree that if you keep your system up to date through Windows Update, SP1 will have little if anything to offer.

Various schemes for circumventing buying Vista have been circulating on the net since before it went RTM last fall -- and, time and time again, MS has overcome each scheme through one or more Windows Updates.

So, if you're really worried about MS overcoming yet another scheme through a future update, SP1 poses no more risk than routine Windows updates.

WAW8, Nov 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question