Reistalling Vista an XP

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by warlord, Jun 25, 2007.

1. warlord

warlord

:cool:OK, I will be installing my new motherboard and processor which will require a reinstall of XP as well as vista, as it stands I have XP Pro installed on my IDE drive and Vista Ultimate on my Sata 2, the first go round XP was already installed on my IDE drive when I installed Vista on my brand new SATA 2 Drive, whenever I wanted to dual boot I went into the BIOS and choose whicheverdrive I wanted to boot from, my question is should I go ahead and install XP on the IDE drive first and then install Vista on the SATA ? or Vista first then XP, ordoes it really matter...or should I partition and install them both on one drive...My Sata is a 320Gig and my IDE is a 120Gig....

warlord, Jun 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. warlord

cyclic

The rule of thumb is oldest first, newest last if you want an auto built boot manager menu and purely because of personal preference I would install Vista to the SATA having done XP on IDE.

cyclic, Jun 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. warlord

JohnM

I agree with cyclic about the order, install XP first on the ide drive and then Vista on the SATA. Vista will then give you the option to choose which operating system to start.

This will also save you the hassle of finding SATA drivers for XP. If you want to keep the two totally separate, as you had before and choose the drive from bios, make sure to disconnect theIDE drive with XP on it before installing Vista.

I have mine set up this way as I find I'm not using XP anymore, but keep it for the odd occasion when I need to use old hardware that I can't get Vista drivers for like my Motorolla mobile phone tools and an infra red device.

So it all comes down to personal preference, what works for you.

JohnM, Jul 24, 2007
  4. warlord

MrMagic

I'd like a little more info on this procedure if someone can help. I am currently running Vista Home Pro on a 250gb SATA.

My machine came pre-loaded with XP MMC 2005 which I saved to a GHOST image on my external 500gb USB and still have.

I installed a 2nd 100gb SATA to which I would like to install my XP MMC version back to.

I do have the ability to selected the boot device at bootup time without having to go into BIOS and change anything, I get a menu of all bootable devices on the machine and I just select the one I want to boot from, including SD's, CF's, etc.

Should I just unhook the 250gb drive with vista on it, boot the ghost CD and restore the XP to the little 100gb SATA and after thats complete, plug the Vista drive back in so both SATA drives are connected and then just select either one at boot time?

Will this method work ok?

Steve

MrMagic, Jul 25, 2007
  5. warlord

Jason

That may work, but you are going to need to boot to the Vista DVD and try to repair your startup after re-connecting all your drives. It should recognize your new drives and create the boot menu, but if it doesn't your just going to have to reinstall Vista and then it will for sure set it up correctly.

Jason, Jul 25, 2007
  6. warlord

WAW8

Even if it does work, don't be surprised if your Vista install suddenly reports that it's no longer valid. Last time I checked, Vista was locked to a particular HDD S/N, even to the point that changing other HDDs in the same machine broke validation. They may have fixed this in recent updates, but since I quit reinstalling the last time I had to call them, I don't know.

WAW8, Jul 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question