Reinstalling Vista Upgrade and a Hardware upgrade question

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by cooldude_832, Jan 21, 2008.

1. cooldude_832

cooldude_832

I currently run vista x64 on my computer and I want to fresh install it after I upgrade my processor and only the processor (Same Mobo, HD, GPU, etc.) only part I am changing out is my 3000+ to a x2 3600+ for dual core power.

First problem

When I pop in my vista Upgrade disk it says I need a legal version of Windows 98se to XP to install vista. However I have vista on this hard drive which really doesn't make sense why I can't do an upgarde on the same version of vista.

Can I get around this without having to strip load xp and then load vista? (I don't know where my XP disk went so if there is a work around)

Second Problem

Will the new processor make my Vista Key "bad" now that I have changed a major hardware part? And if it doesn't what will trigger the "bad" key in terms of hardware changes?

cooldude_832, Jan 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. cooldude_832

Rhym3z

Maybe it requires xp on the system because its an upgrade only disk ur using?

Rhym3z, Jan 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. cooldude_832

WAW8

Are you attempting the upgrade from inside Vista? If so, try booting from the DVD. It should provide you the option to install Vista. If that works, you will be doing an in-place upgrade and simply overwriting the system files from the DVD.

WAW8, Jan 22, 2008
  4. cooldude_832

cooldude_832

I have the copy I wish to reinstall already on this computer I want to reimage this computer

cooldude_832, Jan 24, 2008
  5. cooldude_832

WAW8

I guess I'm not understanding what you want to do.

It could be any of the following:

1) Overwrite the current Vista installation with a new install, keeping the current data files and accounts intact.

2) Wipe the disk and do a fresh installation of Vista

3) Create an "image" backup of the current Vista installation to an internal disk (separate partition from Vista) or to an external USB or hard drive.

Which of these is correct? Or, if I've completely missed it, what exactly is it that you want to do?

WAW8, Jan 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question