Reinstalling Vista driver updates

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by WAW8, Feb 13, 2007.

1. WAW8

WAW8

OK, I'll admit it -- I did a dumb thing! After using a Vista-installed audio driver for a while and determining that it didn't work well, I unistalled it (using Device Manager) and installed a third-party driver instead. Well, to make a long story short, the third-party driver was even worse than the Vista-provided one, so I tried the driver rollback feature. It restored the driver but not the associated software -- which Vista also installed automatically with the driver update.

In fact, the rollback worked so badly that I got a Vista popup indicating that a problem had been found. But, not to worry -- a solution was available, and all I had to do was go to Windows Update and pull down the update. So, I went to windows update, had it search for updates and, you guessed it -- Vista found no updates for me!

I can see the update in the Windows Update history-of-updates screen, but can't determine any way to force Windows Update to download and apply it again.

So, does anyone know a way to locate a specific update in Windows update and download it?

My only alternative at this point would be to start over with a reformat and install everything again. -- Arrggh!!

WAW8, Feb 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. WAW8

VistaRocks

I you double click on the one you need then you get another screen with a link for more info, then it takes you to Microsoft sit where you have more options like reinstalling and troubleshooting. Good luck and post back.

VistaRocks, Feb 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. WAW8

WAW8

The IE is just general advice about driver installation. I need something more specific -- like how to click on the driver name in the history and FORCE Vista to reinstall it. There does not appear to be an option for that. When I try it, Vista goes to Windows Update and tells me there are no updates available. I'm guess it's doing this because it has the driver in my history and believes that I already have it installed -- but it even does this after I've removed the drivers.

The Vista screen says to remove an update, go to Installed Updates, but all that is listed there are the KBnnnnnn updates, not the driver updates.

So, it looks like once you apply a driver update, if you remove it, you can't get it back.

WAW8, Feb 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question