Reinstalling UPGRADED Vista/Recovery

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Insano, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Insano

Insano

After running a game, my computer got all messed up. BY messed up, I mean my windows installment is messed up or sumthing.

Anyway, online they told me to reinstall a fresh copy of windows, at best buy they told me to use the recovery disk.

If i used the recovery disk, wouldn't it take my windows back to XP? If I installed a fresh copy of windows vista, would it mess up my activation?

What i mean by that is, i installed, and activated a legal windows vista. If I installed a fresh copy on the same computer, would I get Vista activation errors? And same goes with recovery. Like I said, I upgraded to vista.

Insano, Jun 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Insano

VistaRocks

A fresh install is the better route to go. If it messes up your activation all you need to do is call MS and get it reactivated, pretty easy.

VistaRocks, Jun 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Insano

WAW8

Using a "recovery disk", especially one supplied by the manufacturer of the computer you bought, actually returns the machine to the condition it was in when they boxed it up. It generally reformats the entire hard disk and installs the partitions anew.

Some vendors don't even provide those disks but provide instructions for creating those disks, requiring that you provide your own media.

But the results are the same in either case -- all files, accounts, settings, and applications are removed.

So, before you use such a disk, be sure to save anything you want to keep off-line.

WAW8, Jun 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question