Reinstallation Blues

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by bvak123, Apr 4, 2010.

1. bvak123

bvak123

I am trying to reinstall Vista from start up. When I click on INSTALL NOW it asks for me to insert the driver cd. It doesn't seem to recognize the CDROM drive. I can click on BROUSE but the only thing it sees is the X: drive. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

bvak123, Apr 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. bvak123

WAW8

If you're trying to reinstall Vista while running Vista, that can't be done.

You should change your BIOS settings to boot from CD, insert that, and try installing that way.

You may get a line of text that says something along the line of "press any key ...". If that happens, press any key you want and the installation should proceed from there.

WAW8, Apr 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. bvak123

bvak123

Thanks for the advice. That is whatI am doing tough. I restart the computer and boot from the CD drive. It says press any key,I press a key. Then the vista installation screen comes up. When I click on Install Now it goes to the driver screen I was talking about. There is where I am stuck. It asks for me to put in the driver CD but when I do it does not reconize anything in the CD drive. The only option, whenI click Browse, is the X: drive.

bvak123, Apr 5, 2010
  4. bvak123

WAW8

OK, now I understand ... but need more details ...

1) Did you originally install Vista on this machine or did it come with Vista preinstalled?

2) If the latter, have you tried restoring from a "recovery partition"? If not, why not?

3) What is installed on the machine now? Vista? Other OSs?

4) Do you know what partitions are configured on the hard drive? IF so, what are they?

WAW8, Apr 6, 2010
  5. bvak123

bvak123

<SPAN id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl10_lblFullMessage>1) Did you originally install Vista on this machine or did it come with Vista preinstalled? preinstalled on a Dell XPS 625
    2) If the latter, have you tried restoring from a "recovery partition"? YES I think I have a hidden administrator (windows)with a password I do not know. I cannot do anything that requires an administrator password...(UAC)
    3) What is installed on the machine now? Vista</SPAN><SPAN>
    4) Do you know what partitions are configured on the hard drive? I do not and do not know how to tell...</SPAN>

bvak123, Apr 6, 2010
  6. bvak123

WAW8

OK, since this is a preinstalled Dell machine, they do some proprietary stuff with their partitioning scheme which can be very difficult to overcome.

You should be able to restore the Dell install by booting the machine, pressing a certain key, and having it restore itself.

But, I don't know what that key is, so, your best course of action at this point would be to contact Dell. Tell them you got a virus and your machine has crashed -- and you want to restore it to it's original state. They should be willing to walk you through how to do that.

WAW8, Apr 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question