Reinstall Vista w/o disk but with Product Key

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Dom9192, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Dom9192

Dom9192

Hi,

I had vista home premium installed on my HP Pavilion desktop computer and I wanted to install Fedora 11 on a seperate partition. (Dual Boot)

I installed Fedora and after I restarted my computer I found out that Fedora used my entire hard drive for the operating system.

It completely wiped out Windows vista and the recovery partiton HP included with the hard drive.

I managed to get rid of Fedora 11 (because I hated it) and installed the Windows 7 RC.

My computer came with no Windows Vista disk, however the tower has a sticker on the side of it with a product key.

I want to install Windows w/o buying the entire OS (because it was already installed on my computer when I bought it)

Is there anywhere I can download a Vista iso and burn it to a DVD and then use my product key to activate it?

Thanks

Any suggestions?

Dom9192, Jul 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Dom9192

Jason

Legally no, Illegally yes. Your best bet is to find a friend who has a Vista install dvd. Microsoft won't supply just a DVD with no product key online or offline.

Jason, Jul 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Dom9192

WAW8

Basically, you're in a tough spot. You can find places where you can get MS SW simply by Googling, but most of them are Torrent site, while a few are "warez" sites. The problem you're going to run into with the latter is that no one posts the entire ISO as a single file; instead, they post it typically at 100MB or 200MB files. The difficulty there is that the hosting sites generally won't allow you to download anything that large for free. So, you would have to pay to subscribe to a file hosting service (like Rapidshare, MegaUpload, Letit.bit, etc) in order to purchase enough bandwidth to be able to download all the segments to then reconstruct the ISO.

If you contact HP and tell them the drive crashed and you need to reinstall the OS to a new drive, they will typically sell you an OEM DVD for a lot less than you would pay to buy an OEM DVD outright. I don't know any specific prices, but I've heard rumours of prices like $20 or so. Worth checking out.

WAW8, Jul 22, 2009
  4. Dom9192

Dom9192

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

Dom9192, Jul 26, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question