Registry Software Section

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Zuko, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Zuko

Zuko

Is it conceded that all of the entries that are appearing in the software sections of the Registry hives are leftovers from software that was once downloaded on the computer.

Zuko, Dec 14, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Zuko

Ztruker

Conceded by who? Certainly not me.

Ztruker, Dec 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Zuko

Zuko

Ztruker. If you read the question before you answered, you would realize it is a question and not a claim. It's smart asses like you who don't offer anything to people who need help but smart assed answers. How much brain power did it take for you to write what you did? Probably not much because you probably don't have much. Bury it.

Zuko, Dec 15, 2013
  4. Zuko

Ztruker

Sorry about that. I honestly read It is, instead of Is it? read it as a statement.

Your response on the other hand was completely uncalled for. Check around the net and you'll see I spend hours every day trying to help people who ask meaningful questions.

I never tell people they are smart asses or stupid or any other kind of simple minded remark.

I'd suggest you consider what you write before you write it in the future.

Ztruker, Dec 15, 2013
  5. Zuko

Zuko

Hey you deserved what you got. As far as I know, this website is a place for people who have computer issues can post their problems and get an intelligent answer. Your answer was not an intelligent but rather humiliating and I reacted to that. In my mind I asked who would do this? Answer; only a smart ass and stupid to the needs of the poster. If you write anything that will help me with my answer, I will be appreciative of it with respect. Bob

Zuko, Dec 15, 2013
  6. Zuko

Ztruker

Bob, can you provide the registry key (or keys) you are talking about?

Is it: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software

Ztruker, Dec 16, 2013
  7. Zuko

Zuko

Thanks for your reply. We have 3 wired computers on a wireless router and three laptops that are wireless but one of them is hardwired all the time. Among all of them, my unit (windows 7 o/s) gets the most usage. My wife has the Vista. Usually, there are one or two in use at the same time and it could be a combination of a laptop and hardwired unit. The wireless router is a Belkin N300 type. All of this started with me trying to get my wife's machine up to par. She plays games on gamesville. and one in particular, Carnival Critters, is a slot machine type format with five wheels. The wheels just barely move and we have been looking for a solution. We have heard all kinds of reasons why it is slow and the one that people speak about the most is the registry is crammed. Others say the Registry should be left alone and is not the big reason for the slowness. Anyhow there are five Keys and each have Software listed under them. A couple might only have two or three entries, but others have many and it's the many that I'm looking at. On the other hand the wireless Belkin router that we use was installed so my wife can get books from Amazon but we also played games with no apparent problems until my wife started with the real slow performance of that game. I run the game every now and then with no problems. It's not perfect, but it runs. Anyhow, her machine needs attention and that is where and why I'm seeking the help. Bob

Zuko, Dec 16, 2013
  8. Zuko

Ztruker

I don't think the registry is the cause.

More likely to me:
    • Too many programs starting at boot time.
    • Not enough RAM.
    • Hard drive is getting full.

What are the specs on here computer (CPU, RAM, Hard drive size and free space)?

Try doing a clean boot and see how it runs: How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Install and run CCleaner Slim. Run Analyze first to see what it's going to delete, then Run Cleaner.

If no help, you can use the Registry cleaner part to remove useless registry entries. CCleaner is the only registry cleaner I ever use as it's not overly aggressive. I uncheck Unused File Extensions since they just get added back on the next boot.

Click Scan for issues then Fix selected issues.
    Click Yes to Do you want to backup changes to the registry just in case something goes wrong then it's easy to recover. I've never had a problem.

Click Fix all selected issues.

See how t hings are now.

Ztruker, Dec 16, 2013
  9. Zuko

Zuko

OK, lots to do. I'll be back afterward. Bob

Zuko, Dec 16, 2013
  10. Zuko

Zuko

OK, ran the clean boot. No change
    RAM cap. 1.00 GB usage at 60 percent
    CPU AMD Athlon (IM) dual core processor 3800+ 2.00 Gz 32 bit
    Free Space cap: 9.9 GB Used: 4.28GB
    Ran CCleaner. No change
    We have Cox cable. It goes from the modem to the rounter and, of course, the computers are connected via the router. I want to try going directly to the computer from the modem rather thru the router. Do you think I will have any problem doing that? I believe that by doing that and the problem doesn't improve, then I have to say that there is a problem with the computer. If it changes the computer operation and improves it, then it's the modem

Zuko, Dec 16, 2013
  11. Zuko

Ztruker

You may have to power cycle the modem and computer to bypass the router and ditto when putting things back. Other than that it should work okay.

1GB ram with Vista is pretty small. 2GB is usually the minimum for reasonable performance.

Processor should be good.

Is the hard drive actually 10GB?

Bummer about clean boot. I was really hoping that would give you better performance.

I think you meant router in your last sentence, right?

Ztruker, Dec 17, 2013
  12. Zuko

Zuko

Yes, I did mean router. I'm pretty sure that I copied the drive right but I'll check the numbers again, if different, I'll post.. If you saw the "pie" it matches. I was surprised that there was so much space left. My daughter goes on with her pictures and my grandson, sometimes, I can't imagine. I know my grandson probably has a lot of stuff in there. He was always going on when he was going to school.To check whether or not the router is a problem with the Vista computer, I went directly from the modem into the computer and it didn't make any difference. I think I put another mem card in to see what happens. Otherwise, I don't know what else. I took it apart the other day and cleaned all the fuzz out of it, it was pretty dirty. Real mystery.

Zuko, Dec 17, 2013
  13. Zuko

Ztruker

Did it ever run right?

Worst case you can always save any data you don't want to lose and reinstall. If the system has a built in Recovery partition you could use that to restore to factory state. If not:

If you do not have a Windows Vista installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Download Official Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit).

Only Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 (X64 or X86) download is available, but if, during the install, you do not enter the product key
    when initially prompted for it (which you must have to use the download), then you will be prompted to select the version of Vista you
    want to install. You can activate once the install is done.

You do need a valid installation key, which should be on the COA sticker on the computer, to activate the installation.

Windows Vista Home Basic
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Windows Vista Business
    Windows Vista Ultimate

Downloaded the Vista X64 or X86 files.

X64: You must be running on a 64bit (X64) system to create a 64Bit install DVD or flash drive
    install.wim
    boot.wim
    X14-63453.exe

X86:
    install.wim
    boot.wim
    X14-63452.exe

Double click on X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe. It extracts all the files into a Vista sub-folder.

Downloaded Windows Bootable Image Creator zip then extract the files to a folder.

Open the folder and run WBICreator.exe
    Click Next
    Select OS Type: Windows Vista
    CD/DVD Label: VistaX64 or VistaX86
    Setup Location: The Vista folder created when you double clicked on X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe.
    Output Path: Somewhere with enough free space to hold the .iso file that will be created (X64 = 3,837,112KB, X86 = 3,013,816KB).
    Click GO.

When done a VistaX64.iso or VistaX86.iso file will be created in the Output Path you chose.

You can use the .iso as input to a burner program like ImgBurn to create a Vista Install DVD, or you can use it as Input to
    Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 to create a Vista install flash drive.

I created a X86 flash drive and used it to install a clean copy of Vista Home Basic on my HP DV2200 Laptop. Worked great using the key on the COA sticker of the laptop.

Remember to use the X64 or X86 version of Vista you currently have.

Note: You may need to download drivers for the computer from the manufacturers web site so I would suggest getting the Network (LAN and Wireless) and video/VGA drivers ahead of time so you can install them as soon as you finish installing Vista.

Once installed, install SP2 and all updates immediately then restore saved data and install programs.

Ztruker, Dec 17, 2013
  14. Zuko

Zuko

We are on the same page with the reinstall. I had to do it last year but it's been pretty good up till now. I want to thank you, after all, for all of your help. I feel like I have gained a friend. I'll keep you posted on what happens. bob

Zuko, Dec 17, 2013
  15. Zuko

Ztruker

Amen. I'm also glad we got past the bad start. Ditto the friend too.

Let me know how the install goes. It's a lot quicker from a flash drive :)

Merry Christmas.

Ztruker, Dec 17, 2013
  16. Zuko

Zuko

I'm on it as I type. Right now it's bee stalled for about 10 minutes and I get worried when something like that happens.

Zuko, Dec 18, 2013
  17. Zuko

Zuko

One thing for sure, when re-installing, there's never a dull moment. I went thru the whole thing last night and thought I was on the right track. It went pretty good and it ended up with IE7, so I proceeded to upgrade to IE9. I have to back track a little here; about a month ago, I tried to install windows 11 on the Vista computer and a message came back that the highest I could go with the system was IE9 which was already on the unit. Now, to continue with the present; As I said previously when I saw that IE7 was in the unit after the re-install, I attempted to install windows 9 but I couldn't even find how to do it. Everytime I hit anything with 9, it came back 8, so I thought that if I downloaded IE8 I could upgrade to 9 and the limit for the machine. Anyhow, I attempted to do the 8 and got a reply that the system would only support 6, so now I am really going nuts. Right now, I'm doing another re-install thinking that I might have taken a wrong "turn" somewhere.

Zuko, Dec 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question