Reformat to XP from Vista question about SATA hard drive problems with XP Please help ^^

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by winrii, May 16, 2008.

1. winrii

winrii

Hello =)

I built my computer last year around march when Vista was first coming out. I decided to buy all my hardware as "Vista Ready" however a lot of it seems to have computability issues with the hardware. Everything including my hard drive is SATA. I have decided to reformat to XP because my hardware just doesn't seem to have the proper drivers for Vista and unfortunately the companies of the hardware aren't putting out any new drivers =\. I purchased XP and am ready try a reformat loading from the CD drive. I saved all my disks for all my hardware and will make sure I have all the XP drivers needed for each piece. ^^

HOWEVER, I read about SATA issues with XP installation especially with the hard drive. I had read posts online like this one about doing a reformat to XP on a computer:

"Also if your using Sata hard drives and your sata controller is in compatability mode and not ahci you should not need addional drivers for the controller. If you do need the Sata drivers be sure they are on a floppy and use the f6 install to specify the controller drivers."

1. How can i make sure my sata controller is in "compatibility mode" and not ahci? My motherboard literally has all SATA and I can only assume then that I am naturally in "compatibility mode"......is this right? Is there an option in my bios to check to make sure its in "compatibility mode"?

2. The quote above says to make sure I have SATA drivers on a disk........is this quote just talking about the drivers that my hardware (which is all SATA) need in order to make my computer user ready?

I am not completely computer retarded, but I am just worried about reformatting my computer and screwing up. I was wondering if SATA hardware is going to have trouble with XP or something. I'm scared but I want to switch back to XP. The vista is arguing with all my hardware. It's a disaster. =(

Please offer any advice you may have. I love to learn about computers so honestly this is fun for me. ^^ Thank you and wish me luck lol. ^^

winrii, May 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. winrii

WAW8

Have you read the pinned post in this forum about going back to XP?

The SATA drivers you will need are those for the controllers built into your motherboard. They are provided by the motherboard supplier and/or the chipset supplier. For example, in my case, I have an ASUS mobo. The SATA drivers came on a CD from ASUS, but they did not, and will not, provide Vista SATA drivers. So, having an nForce4 mobo, I went to the Nvidia site (actually the nForcersHQ site) and downloaded the Nvidia chipset driver package.

Unless you have an XP CD with the drivers already on it, you will need to do much the same.

When booting from the XP CD, press F6 (I think) to bring up a panel for loading the SATA chipset drivers.

BTW, don't want to discourage you, but as our name implies, we are a Vista forum, not an XP forum. So, if you have any problems with XP (installation or setup), you will need to go elsewhere to get advice. It's not that we have anything against XP, we don't. AFAIK, most if not all the Mods on this board are running XP themselves. It's just that we don't have the bandwidth to take on XP troubleshooting as well. Vista takes up our available time as is.

Good Luck

WAW8, May 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. winrii

MafiaLord91

Also just in case you did not know you will need to have a floppy drive and a floppy disk to install the SATA drivers. You will need to put the SATA driver files on the floppy disk while in Windows.

MafiaLord91, May 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question